Making a canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cburns70 said:
Here's a drawing of what i did:

What kind of motor do you use on them? Are they all connected to one motor or separate motors?

Making progress, yes it's slow going. I'm being very careful and honestly I think I might be getting high off of the glue! Lol!
Note for others * it's toxic wear a mask *
I've even resorted to "child labor" ;-)
Here's a couple pics so far..
Next step, the actual install :)

Attachments

• image-3052461716.jpg
    image-3052461716.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 124
  • image-3717973377.jpg
    image-3717973377.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 113
  • image-3240047886.jpg
    image-3240047886.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 115
  • image-1341330823.jpg
    image-1341330823.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 116
How are you setting the pump up? Is it goin to draw from the aquarium and push through the filter or draw from the filter and push into the tank?

I'm drawing from the tank, I have a bio sponge on the intake, feeding into the pump then going into the carbon and then another bio and then back into the tank. I'm hoping the filter on the intake is going to do two things one, trap the larger particles, which will help not to bunk up my carbon filter as fast and two supply more bio to the tank. This is my first time ever doing something like this so any input is welcomed :)
Last round of pictures tonight this girl is tired. Didn't get to do a wet run yet. Waiting for the "stinky" glue to cure before I do.

Attachments

• image-3449164223.jpg
    image-3449164223.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 110
  • image-1563328188.jpg
    image-1563328188.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 105
  • image-18162181.jpg
    image-18162181.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 106
Wow! you have made tremendous progress. and It looks great also. Your Son? does great work.

Just curious as to the running total, or at least an estimate. I would like to upgrade mine as well, and id like to know if this is more cost effective than CLing a used one.

Hi

I appreciate the fact this is a thread about canister filter, but was curious to know of you had concurred maybe an internal floating bed filter?

They are extremely cheap to build and you can run multiply tanks off one large air-pump. They are also really good filters that really help the water quality.

There are two designs you can choice from. One which uses an old 1 litre coke bottle turned upside down. With some wholes drilled at top and bottom an air line/ airdrome optional and some k1 filter media.

The other is the same only incorporates a elbow and a piece of pipe with more wholes or slots drilled and a sponge. Look up homemade bed filter and homemade floating bed filters on you tube. I've made 3 and it cost me a fiver.
Heres a pic of mine I made. Only I managed to find so spare parts in a bargin bucket at my lfs that cost me £2 I just gotta put an old price of media sponge inside the grey inlet strainer. Hope you like it?
Dan

Attachments

• image-3927918928.jpg
    image-3927918928.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 145
The pump was sitting in my garage. I don't know the gph? I know it's made to do whole buildings so I figured with my ball valves I can control the flow through them. I wish I could give a proper running total for you guys, right now, out of pocket I am sitting at $27.64. That was for the bag of 90s and a length of pipe. The rest of the stuff I found kicking around the house. I can ask my husband what the actual cost would be if you had to buy it all, but then I'd have to show him everything I took. See my predicament? Lol!
Yes, that was my son, I figured he's the reason we picked up the tank so he should put some work into it too. Besides it doesn't hurt an 8 year old to learn a trade young does it!? ;-)

Ukdans1k said:
Hi

I appreciate the fact this is a thread about canister filter, but was curious to know of you had concurred maybe an internal floating bed filter?

They are extremely cheap to build and you can run multiply tanks off one large air-pump. They are also really good filters that really help the water quality.

There are two designs you can choice from. One which uses an old 1 litre coke bottle turned upside down. With some wholes drilled at top and bottom an air line/ airdrome optional and some k1 filter media.

The other is the same only incorporates a elbow and a piece of pipe with more wholes or slots drilled and a sponge. Look up homemade bed filter and homemade floating bed filters on you tube. I've made 3 and it cost me a fiver.
Heres a pic of mine I made. Only I managed to find so spare parts in a bargin bucket at my lfs that cost me £2 I just gotta put an old price of media sponge inside the grey inlet strainer. Hope you like it?
Dan

Hi Dan :)
I've seen the bottle filters in other tanks too and think they're pretty ingenious ideas! From what I hear they work really good too. Yours looks great! The only thing I wasn't sure about was if they'd be enough for larger tanks? All the ones I saw were operating in the 5-29gal tanks. I think it's fantastic that more people are looking into DIY projects. For me personally I've found I've learned far more this time around. With my other tanks I just set it up with what came in the box and cycled it. (not knocking it, just saying I've enjoyed this route more)

There is always a good feeling when you make something for yourself, especially if it costs less than shop brought, and more so if it works.

The bed filters are really good I have also enjoyed finding out about these and making them, experimenting with designs ect . I believe you can use these on any size aquarium. Either via a larger bottle or with a few running in the same tank. I found out about bed filters from a guy I met than ran all 20 tanks in his fish room with these in. The larger 5ft tanks I think had two in, but all of his had sponges also. You should defiantly try them, they are the best for the control of nitrates

I think I have my hands full right now with this one on the go ;-) maybe down the road I'll try it? I have three tanks now so maybe I'll try it out in the 46gal. As for right this moment I have to swap out my pump :-S tried the "wet" test and the pump isn't working properly. :-( Hopefully this next one will be the winner. (that's the downfall of having a plumber for a husband, you never know why the parts are here!lol)

Swapped the pump, folks we have a WINNER!! YAY! I have flow!
1st picture-new pump
2nd- tank full and recirculating water!
It's cloudy, dark and ready to cycle/seed
Not sure now what to do..lol!
I'm thinking since I used tank water from my other two tanks to fill it plus my r/o water I should be quick to cycle? I'm going to put the old filter from my 65 in there too. Maybe give it a day to settle and then transfer fish?? What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image-4219307006.jpg
    image-4219307006.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 134
  • image-956992019.jpg
    image-956992019.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 135
Wow! All said and done! My son did the aqua-scaping. What do you think? Not bad hey? I can't believe this tank started out as a ten year old piece of **it. Redid all the seals, custom made the filtration and now true enjoyment! Thanks for all the help along the way. I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road. For now I'm just going to sit and watch my fish :)

Attachments

• image-1003601867.jpg
    image-1003601867.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 155
Looks good. Very clean installation. Well. here's a couple of pics of my setup. These are alittle outdated since I've elminated the 100 micron filter. I'll get some update pics up soon.

34681-albums3006-picture19548.jpg

34681-albums3006-picture19547.jpg

34681-albums3006-picture19546.jpg

34681-albums3006-picture19545.jpg

Wow! Seriously! I never even thought about the uv, and the gauge, I look at that and think mine screams amateur lol! Your pump is inside the tank? That probably would've saved me all kinds of headaches trying to prime it. I literally was sucking on the PVC trying to pull the water up into the system. Shh..don't laugh :p like we all haven't sucked or blown on something in this hobby? ;-)

Yep, pump inside the tank eliminates any priming issue!

I had to buy the gauge off Ebay, its a 0-15psi. Couldn't find one locally that small. The system runs normally at 5psi. Any variation you know you have a problem.

I'm going to change the 3/4 clear tubing out. Its really too stiff and will kink if your not carefull. I'm replacing it with 3/4" corrugated tubing. It's much more flexible. Looks like a vaccum cleaner hose.

The system runs very quiet and my water is nice an clear!

That's one thing I can't get over, is how quiet this set up runs. I'm constantly looking at it checking to make sure it's still operating. Lol! Mines not pretty by any means to look at but like you said we can swap something out down the road and make any changes we want whether it's for function or just to pretty it up. :) I was looking at that tubing myself, I couldn't figure out how I would tie it in? I also wasn't sure how well it would hold up? It has grooves in it and I thought all the gunk would get caught up in it or might even plug up over time with possible algae growth?

I hadn't considered using it until I saw it in use at the LFS, over the weekend. It was used on the sump of their 900 gallon fw display tank.

LFS wanted $10 a foot, Home Depot sells 20ft for 16-$17. Home Depot's is black and used for ponds. The black is supposed to inhabit algae growth.

I'm thinking of converting my last canister to a fluidized bed filter.

Last edited:
I'd check out the plumbing wholesalers near you, you might even pick it up for less money. I know from what I've discovered the wholesalers prices are way lower than any of the home improvement stores and they have a larger selection of everything! You have me curious (as I've said before I'm new to the DIY and learning more through it about the entire hobby) what is a fluidized bed filter? My imagination is configuring the possibilities but I want to make sure I'm on the right track before I open my mouth. (Or in this case type it out) ;-)

Back
Top Bottom