Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is always a good feeling when you make something for yourself, especially if it costs less than shop brought, and more so if it works.

The bed filters are really good I have also enjoyed finding out about these and making them, experimenting with designs ect . I believe you can use these on any size aquarium. Either via a larger bottle or with a few running in the same tank. I found out about bed filters from a guy I met than ran all 20 tanks in his fish room with these in. The larger 5ft tanks I think had two in, but all of his had sponges also. You should defiantly try them, they are the best for the control of nitrates

Old 01-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I have my hands full right now with this one on the go maybe down the road I'll try it? I have three tanks now so maybe I'll try it out in the 46gal. As for right this moment I have to swap out my pump :-S tried the "wet" test and the pump isn't working properly. :-( Hopefully this next one will be the winner. (that's the downfall of having a plumber for a husband, you never know why the parts are here!lol)

Old 01-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Swapped the pump, folks we have a WINNER!! YAY! I have flow!
1st picture-new pump
2nd- tank full and recirculating water!
It's cloudy, dark and ready to cycle/seed
Not sure now what to do..lol!
I'm thinking since I used tank water from my other two tanks to fill it plus my r/o water I should be quick to cycle? I'm going to put the old filter from my 65 in there too. Maybe give it a day to settle and then transfer fish?? What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4219307006.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	71102   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-956992019.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	71104  

Old 01-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow! All said and done! My son did the aqua-scaping. What do you think? Not bad hey? I can't believe this tank started out as a ten year old piece of **it. Redid all the seals, custom made the filtration and now true enjoyment! Thanks for all the help along the way. I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road. For now I'm just going to sit and watch my fish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1003601867.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	71181  
Old 01-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Looks good. Very clean installation. Well. here's a couple of pics of my setup. These are alittle outdated since I've elminated the 100 micron filter. I'll get some update pics up soon.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow! Seriously! I never even thought about the uv, and the gauge, I look at that and think mine screams amateur lol! Your pump is inside the tank? That probably would've saved me all kinds of headaches trying to prime it. I literally was sucking on the PVC trying to pull the water up into the system. Shh..don't laugh like we all haven't sucked or blown on something in this hobby?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #57

Yep, pump inside the tank eliminates any priming issue!

I had to buy the gauge off Ebay, its a 0-15psi. Couldn't find one locally that small. The system runs normally at 5psi. Any variation you know you have a problem.

I'm going to change the 3/4 clear tubing out. Its really too stiff and will kink if your not carefull. I'm replacing it with 3/4" corrugated tubing. It's much more flexible. Looks like a vaccum cleaner hose.

The system runs very quiet and my water is nice an clear!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's one thing I can't get over, is how quiet this set up runs. I'm constantly looking at it checking to make sure it's still operating. Lol! Mines not pretty by any means to look at but like you said we can swap something out down the road and make any changes we want whether it's for function or just to pretty it up. I was looking at that tubing myself, I couldn't figure out how I would tie it in? I also wasn't sure how well it would hold up? It has grooves in it and I thought all the gunk would get caught up in it or might even plug up over time with possible algae growth?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #59

I hadn't considered using it until I saw it in use at the LFS, over the weekend. It was used on the sump of their 900 gallon fw display tank.

LFS wanted $10 a foot, Home Depot sells 20ft for 16-$17. Home Depot's is black and used for ponds. The black is supposed to inhabit algae growth.

I'm thinking of converting my last canister to a fluidized bed filter.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd check out the plumbing wholesalers near you, you might even pick it up for less money. I know from what I've discovered the wholesalers prices are way lower than any of the home improvement stores and they have a larger selection of everything! You have me curious (as I've said before I'm new to the DIY and learning more through it about the entire hobby) what is a fluidized bed filter? My imagination is configuring the possibilities but I want to make sure I'm on the right track before I open my mouth. (Or in this case type it out)

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com