Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

About QuikSand Fluidized Bed Filters

Pretty good explanation there.

Most wholesalers hours arent convenient for me. But yeah you're right, they're normally cheaper and have a much better selection.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburns70
About QuikSand Fluidized Bed Filters

Pretty good explanation there.

Most wholesalers hours arent convenient for me. But yeah you're right, they're normally cheaper and have a much better selection.
Would it be similar to a bio wheel? With the way it was being described that was what came to mind. If so how would you configure that into the set up you already have? Or are you thinking of breaking down your current set up to do this?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
Would it be similar to a bio wheel? With the way it was being described that was what came to mind. If so how would you configure that into the set up you already have? Or are you thinking of breaking down your current set up to do this?
Think of a bucket, half filled with sand, with the water entering the bottom and working its way up to the top. The Sand becomes fluidized (like quicksand) and that creates a massive bio filter.

I can take my last canister fill it about half way with sand and reverse the water flow. The water would then enter through the pvc pipe in the center and exit at the bottom. The water would works its way through the sand and up to the top of the canister and then out.

The trick is getting the water to flow at the correct rate so it doesn't push the sand out.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #64

Picture time! Here's some different views of my Tank. The pump is the right hand corner (facing the front). I've "disguised" it with some fake plants.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your tank is incredible!! Makes me want to do more with mine lol! Thank you for sharing
The fluidized canister really makes sense once you put it in the "bucket" scenario for me. It'd probably be the closest you can get to the natural way of filtration. Reminds me of the beach and how the water rolls through the sand taking and leaving what it needs. What if you put a coupling in the tube inside the canister that makes it removable and insert a small sponge to avoid the sand from being forced out? The water will still flow but the sand won't get through?
Old 01-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #66

Thank you.

I havent quite figured out yet to keep the sand in yet. I beleive its all in how much water your pushing through.

I've got an extra canister and pump I'm going to play with.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburns70
Thank you.

I havent quite figured out yet to keep the sand in yet. I beleive its all in how much water your pushing through.

I've got an extra canister and pump I'm going to play with.
I'd try a nylon (ladies stocking) over the top of the canister (under the ring) and put a sponge inside the tube you're using inside the canister?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just a quick question for cburns70, what type of pump and how many gph is your in tank pump and how do you keep it from consuming tank inhabitants?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbeast View Post
just a quick question for cburns70, what type of pump and how many gph is your in tank pump and how do you keep it from consuming tank inhabitants?
Danner Supreme Mag Drive rated at 950GPH. The actual output is around 300Gph.

There's a sponge filter on the intake.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #70

Hi there. I have been doing some research also on making a filter. I have read through the posts here trying to work out what I need. I will be using an old pool cartridge filter (pump and cartridge removed). I think it's perfect as its already water tight and hoses will attach easy. As for the pump, I have a submersible bilge pump (meant for pumping water out of a boat). It's rated at 1100 GPH. I'm not sure if that pump is ok as i doubt it is designed to run constantly and I'm also thinking that it will be too strong. I don't know how many gallons my tank is as I don't have it yet but it will be 6 foot long.
Do I need any valves gauges etc? Should the water be filtered from top to bottom or the other way around?
Any help would be appreciated

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com