Making a cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V p1839

Aquarium Advice Regular
Picked out a nice piece of rock that I'm going to moss over with java. Do I need to boil it and use white vinegar?

I would suggest using vinegar to see if the rock is safe to use. If it fizzes dont use it. After that soaking/ boiling a rock in hot water for a good period of time. If you are boiling only do it for a very short time as the rock can explode from air pockets in the rock expanding. After using hot water draining, placing more hot water in it a few times then I would let it sit for 24hours to help leach out any toxins that may be in it. After that time take it out and you should be ready to use it.

Also scrub the rock to rid any dirt or Debre from it.

V p1839 said:
Picked out a nice piece of rock that I'm going to moss over with java. Do I need to boil it and use white vinegar?

Where'd you get the rock? If you found it in the great outdoors then I suggest boiling. What kind of rock is it? I've boiled lava rock and river stones before.

You may want to sit the rock in a bucket of water with a bubble stone for 24 hours to make sure it isn't going to effect pH.

It's a piece of flag stone. I've already scrubbed the dirt and that off and will try the vinegar trick

Back
Top Bottom