Making a Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magyk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking to establish a reef tank and possibly make a sump

Is it that easy where you take a 20 gal tank but an overflow and then a powerhead and that's it??

Can someone let me know if that's all you need to do

Here is an article I wrote on sumps about a year or more ago.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=12

IT will help you with the basics of sump design and principle. I also just made a rather long post up on Saltwater General Discussion on the exact same thing almost.

My sump on my 80 gal is a 30 gal aquarium with a few lbs of LR in it for extra filtration. Two 200W heaters are also in the sump.

I always kept Rubbermaid containers for sumps. They work great and are very cheap. You can easily create two levels by putting a smaller container (plastic garbage can) inside the larger Rubbermaid container. You'll need more than a small powerhead to pump water back to the main tank. You'll need a decent sized pump.

Hey Jack, could you post some pics? We are thinking of going a sump for our 40 long and we'd like to see all possiblities.

Thanks!

I can't take any pictures. I've sold the inhabitants of both of my reef tanks. I also sold my 55 gal. I'm left with my 75 gal tank that is going to become FW. I have a sump on the tank, but it is a sump/wet-dry. It is not a Rubbermaid container. I'll look and see if I have some old pictures I can post. I'll also gladly answer any questions.

I had pvc running from the overflow into the sump. I just used 45 and 90 deg elbows to change direction. I cut holes in the side (near the top) of the sump, through which the pvc went through. The overflow emptied into the inner can (the plastic garbage can), then overflowed into the main sump (the Rubbermaid container). The main pump was located inside the Rubbermaid container. I used a HOB skimmer placed on the inner can. It worked great because the water level in the inner can remained constant.

Here are two pictures. The first shows the the Rubbermaid container on the right. The second shows the top of the tank and the return. Sorry, but this is all I have that shows the sump/return.

Back
Top Bottom