Making Aqueon's 90 Gal Stand Strong Enough for 90 Gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SgtSparkles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I scored the 90 Gallon stand half price due to some cosmetic shipping damage but there is no way I would ever trust pine, glue, and staples to hold 800lbs. So i fixed it

Yes indeed the stands made for 75/90G or bowfront 72/90G (I have the bowfronts) just do not look like they will withstand such weight from the lower size let alone the larger sized tanks!!!

That looks much more appropriate for a huge load like these sized tanks have.

Built nice and very strong.

Yes indeed the stands made for 75/90G or bowfront 72/90G (I have the bowfronts) just do not look like they will withstand such weight from the lower size let alone the larger sized tanks!!!

That looks much more appropriate for a huge load like these sized tanks have.

Built nice and very strong.

Thank you. It should hopefully do way better.

In my case the stand which I need to replace a 90G bowfront stand is listed from the manufacturer for a 75G and 90G except the weight limit is at the 72G size not the 90G!!!

The one it has is water damaged and the previous owner used some small pieces of 2x4 and some 4x4 to add support for the weight but not in a manner to create a long term solution in my mind. As the reason I was interested especially in your take on it.

Since my stand and replacement stand is a slightly different design, it wouldn't work for me exactly like that.

It is nice to see other ideas, since I am not a wood working or /building hobbyist and all the pointers/other builds help!

In my case the stand which I need to replace a 90G bowfront stand is listed from the manufacturer for a 75G and 90G except the weight limit is at the 72G size not the 90G!!!

The one it has is water damaged and the previous owner used some small pieces of 2x4 and some 4x4 to add support for the weight but not in a manner to create a long term solution in my mind. As the reason I was interested especially in your take on it.

Since my stand and replacement stand is a slightly different design, it wouldn't work for me exactly like that.

It is nice to see other ideas, since I am not a wood working or /building hobbyist and all the pointers/other builds help!
I would still go rectangular in construction for simplicity and just have the extra space on top of the stand. Would be handy shelf during cleaning or feeding

I would still go rectangular in construction for simplicity and just have the extra space on top of the stand. Would be handy shelf during cleaning or feeding

Thanks, that makes sense.

Mine is still just sitting around waiting for a decision, yes or no to buying and building/reinforcing a new stand. (Not positive I want another huge tank to keep up with!) Good info for the future.

Just do freshwater then and make it easier to keep up with. Those guys with huge salt water are amazing. No way I could do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still tempted with a FW GF/coldwater tank. 90G is a good size and have an FX-5. (Getting to the 80G SW now - and I really am a nano tank lover!!!)

This was the stand, 6-12 months ago the stand said it fits 90G - not weight rated for that, as of reading it today thought I would look again, it says only 72G, as it should.
www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/pr...3IMiI23az9RZFifjGBMaAqgMEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

looks good though. I'd run some 2x6 fit snug in there and beef that bad boy up some. then it should be fine. But that's silly that it's not rated for as much weight as it holds. And, I don't think i'd be flirting with the max weight without reinforcement anyway.

looks good though. I'd run some 2x6 fit snug in there and beef that bad boy up some. then it should be fine. But that's silly that it's not rated for as much weight as it holds. And, I don't think i'd be flirting with the max weight without reinforcement anyway.

Pretty usual I will imagine the worse possibility - possibly that some one put a 90G on it and crushed it, so not they rate it as 72G. Just my worst case scenario thinking, :eek:

I am looking for a nice Oceanic or Aqueon Version, I think I have Oceanic now, looks similar to the one in the pic. The water damaged one on the 90G is like that and I believe is also Oceanic, so maybe I can find a bad tank with a good stand. Or a long gone tank /people selling a decent stand I can reinforce. Saddened the water damaged stand is in ugly shape.

Maybe will check somewhere else to buy one and reinforce it. New or full price probably isn't in my budget.

The style you have was scary looking in the back for sure.

I would just make one. You could in a very affordable fashion. Some 2x6, 2x4, and 3/4" ply. Have at it.

Always feel like it wouldn't be pretty enough for a living room. I have ability and tools but probably not finesse. Wouldn't hesitate to make something functional but little nervous in the how it would look in a family room next to a professionally made version.

Always feel like it wouldn't be pretty enough for a living room. I have ability and tools but probably not finesse. Wouldn't hesitate to make something functional but little nervous in the how it would look in a family room next to a professionally made version.

thats where a nice plywood skin with oak veneer comes in to play

Thank you, if I end up doing it, I will check in with you for assistance. (I am reducing the number of tanks I am running so I was trying NOT to add more at this point. The 80G SW I am setting up is replacing 3 nano tanks :) )

End products looks nice, but you've spent a lot of money on 2x material that you didn't need. Of all those top boards you put in, less than 10% have anything at all sitting on them, so they aren't supporting anything regardless of the weight of the tank. Also forum users should be aware that if you reinforce a stand like this, you void any manufacturers warranty on both the stand and the tank itself, as manufacturers like aqueon won't warranty a tank placed on any stand other than those they sell and they have to remain unmodified. Not saying you didn't make a better stand, just saying people need to be aware that they void any warranty they may have if they do something like this.

End products looks nice, but you've spent a lot of money on 2x material that you didn't need. Of all those top boards you put in, less than 10% have anything at all sitting on them, so they aren't supporting anything regardless of the weight of the tank. Also forum users should be aware that if you reinforce a stand like this, you void any manufacturers warranty on both the stand and the tank itself, as manufacturers like aqueon won't warranty a tank placed on any stand other than those they sell and they have to remain unmodified. Not saying you didn't make a better stand, just saying people need to be aware that they void any warranty they may have if they do something like this.

Valid point. In my case the stand had minor cosmetic shipping damage and was out of warranty and my tank is from the 90s so who knows who made it. Better safe than sorry I guess

Back
Top Bottom