Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Question Making custom decorations?

Hi all,
After a comment by a friend of mine that my internal UV filter is very space-age and stands out a ton in my upstairs 'fun' tank, I had a bit of a thought.
I would really quite like to redesign my 100L (I had a 75 empty and traded it up in my absence from the site I think I should add) to something rather nerdy and more in keeping with the room it's in.

I tried to do some research on the best possible way to go about my design and much as lego would be a simple way of doing the decor, I'm not fond of it. So my next thought was to mould something myself. I know this is sometimes done for marine tanks to make fake coral or something for the live coral to bond to but are the same materials safe for freshwater tanks? (I'm imagining this is rather a dumb question given the fragility of saltwater setups compared to freshwater ones but I want to make sure)
Does anyone have any experience of making them?
What materials should I be looking for as the various DIY sites seem to be contradicting one another on what is non-toxic?
How can I colour my finished piece?
What are the best products I could use to make it? Value for money being important as I must say, I'm certainly not made of money and this is meant to be a fun project.

So basically, I want to do this but have no idea how the hell to even get started on it
I'm just thinking of making a backing and a central piece that I can possibly hide my airstone in. Tank has 2 medium sized angels, 1 spotted hoplo and 3 small albino bronze cory's, fully set up and happy as they are. I'm not planning on changing the substrate or even filter/heater placement, just swapping out my stone 'catfish perch' and the less interesting plants for something more unique.
So... Any ideas?
Castelau is offline   Reply With Quote

custom, deco, decor, decorations

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com