Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't really have any slate I'd like to use at all so I guess ill find some if boiling doesn't work today after a few tries.

asberry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I boiled mine for a while and then I stuck it in my tank (It still floated) so what I did was kind of wedged my piece of wood with rocks that were already in my tank and after about two months it is basically staying down on its on now . Oh I tried tying rocks to mine and it just did not work the fishing line would not stay around the rock so I didnt have that option lol hopefully you get it to stay down!

brunettebaby4571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
By the the time I go through the hassle of boiling and then wedging or anchoring down outside / backyard / river bank DW, is why I just prefer to just buy Malaysian DW (that sinks instantly) from a trusted LFS that sells hand sized pieces (some are even forearm length)for $3.00.
75g Planted Barbs Denison, BlackRuby, Tiger, Albino Tiger, Green Tiger, Cherry, Gold, Checkered, Odessa.
NonBarbs Cardinal, Neon, RummyNose, Bloodfin Tetras, Z. Danios. 1RTS. Amano, Bamboo, Ghost & RCS. 20g Long Shrimp Tank RCS, Tiger, Amano.
jcolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I didn't exactly find the piece in trying to use...but I think its too perfect to not try and make work....it came from the ocean on the outer banks of North Carolina.
asberry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Both of these are screwed to slate tiles. You can buy slate tiles for around a dollar apiece. They're easy to drill and break/cut to size.

I did boil mine a couple of time to get the tannin out.

cburns70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

If you do screw it to slate, make sure you are sealing over the top of the screw with something, as even stainless steel screws will rust over time.
the Bog

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
I had the same issue, a 3lb piece wanted to float for months!!!! When I re-decorated my tank I needed smaller pieces, so I just broke it up into a few and within about 2 weeks and a cichlid stone on each...the unsinkable, sunk!
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have my pieces of driftwood tied to a rock in a pond. I left it there all week and I'm going to go retrieve it this weekend. So far it hasn't sank
Tipton34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus
A stainless screw of good quality will not rust, and drftwood is normally attached with a brass or bronze screw. A little bit of rust won't hurt the tank. i know more than a few people who add washers or nails to their substrate for planted tanks. I have done it as well.
Interestingly, some pieces don't want to sink. I have two pieces of mulberry that were sunk for about a year, and when I took them out, allowed them to dry a little, one sunk quickly in the new tank and the second is still floating about 5 months later.

Join a fish club. Don't have one in your area? Start one.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote

drift, driftwood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com