Making my own sump!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
Want to change my current premade sump to a 55g sump. I can get the tank easily, already have all of the equipment. I was just wondering how to make it. When I silicone it in, how do I do that? Skimmer first, fuge second, return third. What should the baffles be like? I want minimal micro bubbles. A pic would really help. Thanks. How much money am I looking at????

And how do I get the glass or acrylic cut? Should the baffles be glass? Acrylic? Can I cut one of them easily myself?

If the tank is glass then I recommend glass baffles (at least 1/4" thick, 1/8" is very brittle). You can use silicone. They say that some varieties of GE silicone is safe, but I only used the stuff I could get in a large tube from my LFS.

You need to know how big of a footprint your equipment will have before you put in the glass. I would put your skimmer in the intake section and make it as small as you can but still be able to easily get the skimmer and anything else in and out. I did put a one-way bubble trap here into my live rock/chaeto section (basically the water falls down, then exits into the middle section on the bottom. I think have another bubble trap into my return that is also one-way (exits at the bottom).

Leave at most 1" at the bottom of the bubble trap. Any more than that and you'll get bubbles going through.

I also did a 55g sump and I think my return section ended up being around 14". I wanted a larger return section to help with water changes. I can drain 7 gallons before getting to the point of starving the return pump.

For the glass, I went to a local glass shop. They cut all the baffles for me. I don't remember exactly how wide I made the glass, but it was 1/4" less than the width of the glass inside the tank. I think I paid $5-$6 per baffle. You can use acrilic but I'm told the silicone doesn't stick as good to it.

This good? Should I put sand in or not? Easier to clean detritus without sand........ Don't judge my drawing LOL

I think it could work. Here is a picture of mine. It wasn't quite finished in this picture because I added the extra baffle after the intake area and that isn't shown...

Intake is the far right, the water goes under that first glass. My skimmer sits on the egg crate, then goes into live rock/chaeto (I have egg crate at the top to keep the chaeto in) and then a bubble trap and return. I don't have any micro bubbles in my tank. This is a 55 sump and with the height of my baffles (I think 14") It holds 35 gallons when running. If there is a power outage there is plenty of room for drainage but the water does end up over the top of the baffles.

img_2015618_0_b1548f0bfb10f587dfcd2644a88ddd41.jpg

Last edited:
Leak test complete! Picked the 55 up a little bit ago.

Attachments

• image-911208767.jpg
    image-911208767.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 156
  • image-1034746332.jpg
    image-1034746332.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 138
Got the dimensions of the baffles. 2x 11 7/8"x9 1/2" and 2x 11 7/8x17 1/4"!!!!!!!! Hopefully I can get the baffles tomorrow along with the silicone and stuff. I'll post picks later.

It's done. The caulk gun couldn't reach some spots so I had to glob it on my hand and run it there..... Lol but hopefully it'll work. How long before I do a leak test?

Back
Top Bottom