Making myself a stand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
For a 44 Gallon Pent tank. Baiscally looks like a diamond from a top view.

I am wondering How I should do this, and if i should design it so screws take the weight (easier) or if I should let the wood (vertical weight transfer) take the weight (much harder, more wood, more cuts)

I'll then put some thin particle board or black plastic around the entire thing minus the back, where i'll put clips to keep it on so i can stash my filters and such in there.

Anyone made a stand for a non-square tank before or am i venturing into untread territory?

Definately let the wood take the weight. You can use screws, and might even get away with it indefinately, but ........... you might not. If this type of stand fails, you might see it before there is a problem, but you might not.

There, is that definite enough? lol Seriously, you will find very few here or on any other forum that will advocate anything but wood on wood. If it is well designed and half way well built, it will outlast your tank.

Do you have a design in mind, or are you still looking?? (hint, hint, folks).

Jeff

build your stand from the bottom up: verticals sit on the base, top sits on the verticals.

Well, This is all done, and the fishtank has been moved the apartment. Pictures will come shortly!

Now on to the next pet! I'm buying a Chinchilla to keep me and my girlfriend company!

yeah definalty go with the plans so the wood takes the weight of the tank. be sure to post up some prgress and finished pics :)

Back
Top Bottom