Making tank trim black?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank has a 1 1/2" trim of speckled grey, they tried to make it look like granite. I've painted my stand and I've made a canopy, they are both black. How could I get the trim black also? There are fish and corals in my tank, so I would prefer whatever it is not to have fumes or something, but I will if I need to.

needmorecowbell said:
My tank has a 1 1/2" trim of speckled grey, they tried to make it look like granite. I've painted my stand and I've made a canopy, they are both black. How could I get the trim black also? There are fish and corals in my tank, so I would prefer whatever it is not to have fumes or something, but I will if I need to.

Gorilla tape?

If you want to rattle can it
Sand the trim, lightly just enough to rough it up a bit. Completely tape off the tank, cover the sides with plastic, newspaper, etc. and do the same to the top so no chemicals get inside the tank. Then spray it.

Or you can hand paint it
Sand the trim, tape it off, find a paint that binds to plastic or you will have to prime it first. Then paint away

Looks great. Any idea who made the tank. I may have the same one and I need to replace the trim due to a broken cross brace.

Thanks! I don't know, but it's old, the date that it was made is in the inside of the trim, feb of 1994, it's older than me lol. Mine doesn't have a crossbrace though.

Thanks! I don't know, but it's old, the date that it was made is in the inside of the trim, feb of 1994, it's older than me lol. Mine doesn't have a crossbrace though.

Thanks for checking. I've checked with some of the LFS around here and none of them are sure either. I guess I'll have to try a repair idea I have and see how it turns out. Oh, and thanks for bringing up the age thing, now I feel like an antique.:D

Back
Top Bottom