Making your own Overflow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone made their own overflow before out of plexiglas or a similar material?

I am going to set up a 10 gal nano reef with a 5 gal fuge. I dont want to use a huge overflow in a 10 gal tank, so I wanted to make my own, one a little smaller and narrower, of course not as much flow, but it will still be enough for the 10 gal. I will have a couple PH in the tank as well.

Any suggestions?....any ideas where to buy plexiglas sheets?

home depot should have acrylic. You will also need a acrylic bonder which, I believe, almost melts the sheets together to form the bond.

So as long as you have some brains, some acrylic bond, and a dremel this should be easy right?!

The only part I dont think I will be able to make is the tube that the water actually flows through.

SeeDemTails said:
So as long as you have some brains, some acrylic bond, and a dremel this should be easy right?!

The only part I dont think I will be able to make is the tube that the water actually flows through.
I've had the opportunity to mess around with a little bit of lexan work before and there is a little bit of stuff that you need to know before you do it. This info will help you do the job right without getting frustrated at yourself in the process. Believe me it can get a bit frustrating when you run into a problem with this stuff, but in the end the finished product is most of the time well worth it.

Here's a sight that will give you a ton of info on lexan, making overflows, sumps, fuges and I believe a reactor aswell.

http://www.melevsreef.com

The tube you can easily just use a small piece of pvc or plastic tubing. it doesn't need to be anything "special".

(moving this to DIY)

I've built my own overflow box before, was quite easy and took maybe two hours of bending time. Just throw the plexi (what I used) in a vice where you want the bend to be, heat it up (watch out for bubbling!) with a torch and watch it bend right over. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

And a router tip with a dremel goes a long way with this one.

Back
Top Bottom