Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Marine Orbit LED retrofit into Biocube 29

(Mods- wasn't sure to do this in saltwater, nano, or DIY... move as you see fit)

Hey everybody... I have been lurking for awhile as I've gotten back into reef keeping after being out of the game for 6-8 years.

Picked up a used Oceanic Biocube 29 about 2.5 months ago. Set it up, things going well but just wasn't happy with the PC lighting. Actually, not terribly unhappy but just wanting more. Like the effect of LED and ability to get a lot more control and flexibility.

Also being on a budget, I have struggled with best options for LED. Looked at Steve's and Rapid's systems in addition to reef breeders. Decided to go with the Current Marine Orbit for now to keep costs low. I have some soft corals, a few LPS, and a zoa right now so I figure 1 fixture is enough for now. I think if I get to wanting SPS, i can add a second fixture (am also waiting to see specs and release date on the marine orbit pro).

I long ago decided I want to keep the hood on my biocbue for aesthetics and noise. (Lot of pets in the house so trying to limit dog hair migration into the tank as well). I have seen a nifty You Tube video with a completely gutted hood covering this light bar over the tank with a couple small dremel marks on edge of hood to allow it to sit flush. I think i will eventually get to that point if/when i get a 2nd fixture.
For now, I wanted to keep the fans and am not electronically inclined enough to do that on my own. So, I elected to remove my PCs while keeping fans and mounted the Marine Orbit under the plexiglass. Wanted to protect fixture and fans from salt creep. Took a little DIY to flip the metal hanger on the Orbit so the fixture is "suspended" in the hood and still allowing the hood cover.

So, i tried to take some pictures along the way. I will admit that I am neither a photographer nor much of an engineer but wanted to share with the world and look for thoughts/feedback. I realize the limitations of this light bar but see it as a good transition option while saving up some $$.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hanger unde wire.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	261467   Click image for larger version

Name:	hander under wire zoom out.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	261468  

Name:	tape hot end of PC cord.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	261469  

Old 01-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #2

a few more pics and some comments on them... basically, i had to reverse the hanger system on the Marine Orbit which involved some gentle removal of ends. I ended up removing the little plastic washers mounted in unit that provided friction when adjusting the wire hanger. Saved them to add in again later.

On one side, I used the pre-existing wire to the fans as the "anchor" for the light hanger. I used some wire to lock it down (out of small zipties). On the other side, i drilled a tiny hole in the frame and used one of the many extra screws to anchor the light hanger in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LED mounted with screw.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	261470   Click image for larger version

Name:	led mounted zoom out.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	261471  

Name:	lights on in hood.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	261472   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED mounted with plastic hood.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	261473  

Old 01-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #3

Before and after pics....
(before pic was about 3-4 weeks ago before coral)

After pic is white channel on 55% and blue channel on 75%
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	before pic.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	261474   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	261475  

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, led, marine, retrofit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com