Material for overflow "wall"(?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squeegee_gal77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 65 gallon corner bow front tank I am setting up. It is drilled at the bottom and was set up with a canister filter. Im now swapping it into a sump system and have installed the bulkheads and run all my plumping using pvc.
I'm wondering what material people have used to hide these pipes in the back of the tank? I've usually seen a black plastic lookin stuff with slots at the top.... Where can someone find whatever that is? Also can I put holes near the bottom so the water isn't just being pulled from the surface of the tank?
Thanks so much for any info, this is my first sump system.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You cant put holes at bottom it will act as a siphon and pull all water out of the tank or not stop if your pump go's off witch will flood you're home.

and make shower you have a 1 way valve if your in-take pip is below the water level in the tank. I leaned this the hard way :(

I have the pipe up at the top of the water level so I don't see how the little wall having holes at the bottom could drain the tank.... I'm only referring to the black box that hides all the piping. Not the pipe itself.

sorry thought you meant bend the pipe back down to the bottom of the tank. I have no wall in my tank so could not really say cant see it hurting but I ant up on it all

Just so you know, the thing you're referring to is called a weir :)

You could put some holes at the bottom, but not that much of that water would end up going down the pipe - since the distance from the surface skimmer to the to of the pipe is a lot smaller, most of the water will come go in from there. But at least the extra holes will prevent the water in there from becoming stagnant and growing some nasties.

Joseph Granata

Awesome! Thanks guys ?
Any idea what material I should use for the weir?

I think Marineland has them pre-made. Otherwise I would say use anything inert that also binds well to silicone

Joseph Granata

Back
Top Bottom