Metal Halide/Power Compact DIY - N00b Needs Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you would just need more PC for the same light output..reflectors take advantage of the light coming out of the top of the bulbs.. and PC is harder to take advantage of there top light even with good reflectors.

and lower K values give you more PAR or acuall usefull light.. they just dont look as good..

the ballast is worth about 40 bucks..
the bulbs ive seen for about 7 bucks a piece on ebay
If you DIY a reflector you can do that for less then 10 bucks or so
4 strait pin clips, wire nuts and assortied assesories 20ish
so... that is a good deal.. :p

From what I understand it does not come with reflectors. I am curious if I should buy those on AH supply or make some? The AH ones seem very nice but I'm not exactly sure which one i sould need.. the 23 inch ones? then I would need 4 of them? Yikes.. expensive.

I'd need two of thsoe tho.. correct?
bulb spreads 3 feet.. I need 4 foot covered

yea.. you would need 2 of those.. and some bulbs.. (you could get the cheapest ones you could find in the spectrum you want. 175 watts of the best bulbs possible would be too much light IMO)

I think I'm going with the PC setup for 90 dollars. I'd have to add their 'cheap' reflector to put it around 120 dollars. I'm going to find an old atx power supply and jumper it to come on when plugged in so I can power 3 led lights for moon lights and run a couple of fans for ventilation.

computer power supplies are not nessisary for led moonlights.
and I would go cold cathode if it was me (the results look substantialy better IMO)

Well under the DIY moonlight there was a power adapter but they discontinued it from xoxide.com. Do you know where I can get a 110ac to 12v dc adapter with molex connectors for around 8 bucks?

why do you need to keep the molex connection? wires connect to wires the connection inbetween is just that a connection same as soder or wire nuts.. and 12V DC adapters are common as well... outlets.. :D

Well for simplicity sake.. I guess I could whip out the ol electrical tape but I'm not really 'familiar' with putting 2 fans and a led hookup to an outlet. I'm very familiar with computer components tho. Such has throttling down fans to 7v by crossing the 12 with a 5 instead of 12 and 0

you can get full AC (120 volt) fans.. to make your life easy.. :D
you can get the little adapters that have a switch that selects diffent voltages. :D
you can also shop for diffent voltage fans if your going with computer components.

Thanks for the link BillyZ

I just thought it was be easier to go with computer components.. I also could add the moonlights that cost 4 dollars from the xoxide forum. I could use multiple voltages with the moon lights to adjust brightness and control fans.

I didnt see that in your earlier post BillyZ.. great advice thought! :p
you can find higher CFM AC fans then what is carried by radio shack online.. if that intrests you.. actually.. I havnt seen any lower voltage fans put out the 115+CFM that the 4" AC ones can..
the thought of a PC power suppy is just odd to me Im positive it would work. It just seems messy for this aplication.. HTH

Back
Top Bottom