Might be switching to a refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I'm thinking about possibly ditching the wet/dry and going with a refugium. When I first purchased my used 100 gallon acrylic tank, I also received a 40 gallon refugium tank with it as well. I decided to pass on it and go with the wet/dry but honestly now I regret it because the wet/dry I have has been a so called "nitrate" factory indeed. I did take the refugium 40 gallon though just in case later on I decided to go ahead with a refugium. It already has the necessary panels glued for the different sections in the refugium.

The only thing I think I'm gonna need is the live stock for it, what are necessary parts to a refugium? I believe you use live sand and live rock? Is green algae a requirement to a refugium? If so, do I need a special light for it? I already have an awesome marineland skimmer for it.

Alright so I went to my LFS and he recommended I do in fact switch to a refugium as my nitrates have been an issue since day one due to my wet/dry not being large enough to handle my aquarium load. As I said I already have a 40 gallon glass tank with panels ready to go, I just need the microalgae, live sand and maybe a piece of rock or two. Got the Marineland 100 skimmer, so I should be gtg!

Now when I do switch from the wet/dry filter should I leave some bio-balls inthe refugium just for some good bacteria to be there? Also what's a good light to use?

There's a pic here of the 40 gallon tank I'll be using for my refugium, I will keep updated pics along the way! Today I am going to pick up some live sand.

Attachments

• 197.jpg
    197.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 99
Well, im sure leaving some of the bio-balls int he refugium couldnt hurt right? Unless your planning to start it from the beginning. Also, i could be wrong, but if your not growing anything that is light specific, should normal flourescent lights be sufficient?

You're correct! I found a thread that recommended an excellent flourescent light at lowes for $20! It's 6500k lighting and is very energy efficent. You get a nice clamp to clip the light right above the refugium. I am ditching the wet/dry completely and as I said using a 40 gallon aquarium for the refugium, so i think leaving bio-balls In there for a while would be a good idea until the live rock, sand and microalgae gets nice and healthy! Man am I so excited though about this, just gotta glue two of the broken panels, let it dry for 72 hours and I can set it up and get it going!

Nice! Im excited for you! Its always a great feeling when you get things you want up and running. The feeling of accomplishment is a great one ;)

Haha yes indeed, although I have to wait 72 hours for the silicone to cure. I had to repair two panels that were glass and broke off, so I switched it to acyrlic. I'll go to the LFS and pick up some live sand, live rock and microalgae and it should be up and running by Friday! :)

And btw thanks for that wonderful article you linked up here on refugiums, that really helped me alot as far as understanding what they are.

Steve

Hey will I need to upgrade my return pump now that my Sump is going to be 40 gallons instead of 10 gallons? If so, which one would I need? How do I figure out how many GPH are necessary?

Steve

it won't be necessary to upgrade your return pump, however it may benefit your aquarium as a whole if you do, more water flow is always a good thing imo. Just make sure you don't go too large and get too much flow for your overflow to handle, but if you do go too large, you can always T off the return line with a gate valve running back into your sump.

Also, pass up on the live sand. It really isnt worth it when you could be putting your money elsewhere. Im sure a 5-10lb bag isnt that expensive, but its still not worth it. Most likely whatever was in there that was live, is dead now from sitting on shelves for such a long time. If you can get live sand from an already established tank with NO previous fish in that tank, then i would say go for it. But the live rock is good as is the microalgae. But honestly, with the 10-15$ you would be spending on the live sand, you could buy food with that for your inhabitants. Just get a small bag of regular aragonite. Cheaper and in a few months it will be live. JMO though ;D

Well I have everything I need for my refugium, I picked up some of this https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=490+2401&pcatid=2401 a few more pieces of live rock and some artificial sand (I would pass on sand altogether but it just would bother me if some kind of sand wasn't in there, ya know?) I agree though, I didn't even waste the money on live sand. Also picked up a new pump with a higher GPH rating.

Now I just gotta wait for the silicone to finish drying and tomorrow I can setup my new refugium and ditch that piece of junk wet/dry! :) I am soooo excited! I'll be sure to post a pic once it's all finished.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom