Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Might be switching to a refugium

Ok so I'm thinking about possibly ditching the wet/dry and going with a refugium. When I first purchased my used 100 gallon acrylic tank, I also received a 40 gallon refugium tank with it as well. I decided to pass on it and go with the wet/dry but honestly now I regret it because the wet/dry I have has been a so called "nitrate" factory indeed. I did take the refugium 40 gallon though just in case later on I decided to go ahead with a refugium. It already has the necessary panels glued for the different sections in the refugium.

The only thing I think I'm gonna need is the live stock for it, what are necessary parts to a refugium? I believe you use live sand and live rock? Is green algae a requirement to a refugium? If so, do I need a special light for it? I already have an awesome marineland skimmer for it.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
is back to save the day!

Dont know much about refugiums, but if i wanted to know more, i would check out the articles section. Found this and it may be worth your while to read up on it.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...uge/Page1.html

Old 07-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright so I went to my LFS and he recommended I do in fact switch to a refugium as my nitrates have been an issue since day one due to my wet/dry not being large enough to handle my aquarium load. As I said I already have a 40 gallon glass tank with panels ready to go, I just need the microalgae, live sand and maybe a piece of rock or two. Got the Marineland 100 skimmer, so I should be gtg!

Now when I do switch from the wet/dry filter should I leave some bio-balls inthe refugium just for some good bacteria to be there? Also what's a good light to use?

There's a pic here of the 40 gallon tank I'll be using for my refugium, I will keep updated pics along the way! Today I am going to pick up some live sand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	197.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	19843  
Old 07-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
is back to save the day!

Well, im sure leaving some of the bio-balls int he refugium couldnt hurt right? Unless your planning to start it from the beginning. Also, i could be wrong, but if your not growing anything that is light specific, should normal flourescent lights be sufficient?
Old 07-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

You're correct! I found a thread that recommended an excellent flourescent light at lowes for $20! It's 6500k lighting and is very energy efficent. You get a nice clamp to clip the light right above the refugium. I am ditching the wet/dry completely and as I said using a 40 gallon aquarium for the refugium, so i think leaving bio-balls In there for a while would be a good idea until the live rock, sand and microalgae gets nice and healthy! Man am I so excited though about this, just gotta glue two of the broken panels, let it dry for 72 hours and I can set it up and get it going!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
is back to save the day!

Nice! Im excited for you! Its always a great feeling when you get things you want up and running. The feeling of accomplishment is a great one
Old 07-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha yes indeed, although I have to wait 72 hours for the silicone to cure. I had to repair two panels that were glass and broke off, so I switched it to acyrlic. I'll go to the LFS and pick up some live sand, live rock and microalgae and it should be up and running by Friday!

And btw thanks for that wonderful article you linked up here on refugiums, that really helped me alot as far as understanding what they are.

Steve
Old 07-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey will I need to upgrade my return pump now that my Sump is going to be 40 gallons instead of 10 gallons? If so, which one would I need? How do I figure out how many GPH are necessary?

Steve
Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
it won't be necessary to upgrade your return pump, however it may benefit your aquarium as a whole if you do, more water flow is always a good thing imo. Just make sure you don't go too large and get too much flow for your overflow to handle, but if you do go too large, you can always T off the return line with a gate valve running back into your sump.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratmaster View Post
Hey will I need to upgrade my return pump now that my Sump is going to be 40 gallons instead of 10 gallons? If so, which one would I need? How do I figure out how many GPH are necessary?

Steve
You'll need to know what your overflow can handle and you head height loss. Check out this site. Reef Central Online Community

Tags
chi, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com