mini sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

th08tu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I noticed there isn't enough diy posts on sumps and refugiums in this forum so I thought I would add one. Anyways I am starting a 10 gallon nano tank, and it is currently cycling. I have noticed however that there is a lot of evaporation and I have an idea to fix it but I am getting out of this thread. Anyways what I have in mind is because of the tank being on a nice desk, with drawers underneath, there is no possibility to drill through for a sump. However it is possible for me to put something about the tank so here is what I would like to do.

I would like to put my pump into the nano and have it pump up to the sump which is on the shelf above of the nano. I would then drill the sump so it would return to the main tank. I know this will work because basically it is basically a mini drilled tank setup. One modification to it I am hoping you guys will be able to help me out with is making sure that the water level in the main tank remains the same, while the water level in the sump is what changes.

So far I am leading to believe that this is impossible, however if anybody has ever done this it would be great to here from you, this will make it much easier for me to add freshwater and have it mix properly, and I will also be able to add things such as the heater to the sump to clear up some valuable space in the main tank. If anybody has done this or knows how to do this it would be great help, thanks!

I am thinking that it would take a controllable pump and a lot of ATO type equipment to keep you from having a very wet desk or an empty looking tank. also that would mean having a pump and a return line in your display. Not very attractive. what about putting the sump into some sort of box on the floor next to or under the center of the desk? or a horizontal placement and a low flow.

Off the top of my head, I could probably come up with a couple ways to do what you're after, but I don't think I like them.

1. Put the pump in an overflow chamber in the display tank. The overflow keeps the water level constant.
2. Water pumps up to the sump from the display tank.
3. Water drains from the sump back to the display tank. Drains only, no overflow chamber.
4. Use a valve on the sump to DT line to balance the pump flow out.

This system may be hard to balance and will probably need constant adjustment. You'd also need a valve that closes when the power goes off on the sump to DT line or you'll have a flood. You'll also need a water-sensing switch of some kind to shut off the pump when there's no water to be pumped.

Like I said, it could work, but it's be a real pain and probably not very reliable. Any chance of plumbing a sump on the other side of the wall?

yeah bigjim that is kind of what I was thinking of doing, however I was going to put an overflow in the sump, and just make sure that the water levels are full, then I would fill the overflow in the main tank, and turn the pump on at the same time, that way it would be a continuous circuit and if the power goes out I would only have the amount of water the is in each of the pipes going into the main tank, which I would be able to deal with. I also had another idea, kind of along cabezon's idea, which would involve putting the refugium at close to the same level or to the side. The only thing is I don't want to use an hob overflow, and I can't drill the tank, but I don't mind putting the pump in the main tank, as I had already planned on this. Can anybody think of anyway that this would work? I just don't trust the hob overflows because if the siphon breaks it is a very expensive desk that would be ruined, I could put an overflow in the sump as this is on the floor, beside the desk so no worries about wrecking the desk. Anyways thanks everybody for the help, I know that I am being very picky, I just had an idea that I wanted to try, anyways let me know what you guys think. Thanks so much!

salt water tank on an expensive desk? Dont want to jinx you but that sounds like trouble. what about putting one of those deep car mats under it.

lol don't worry I built a cheap maple stand that can take water no prob, but if gallons of water got poured over the edge I would have a problem. I work at a cabinet making company, so it was me who built the desk so I can do the repairs if something does happen but I would prefer not to. I put a lot of money into building this desk so I don'r really want to have to do anything to repair it, and that is why I am trying to avoid doing the overflow. anyways thanks for the advice I have been boggling my mind all day trying to figure out the best way to do what I want safely, but I think I might be trying to do the impossible...

Back
Top Bottom