Mixing Glass and Acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xplanes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm, at the dreaming/planning stage. I'm looking into materials and cost and as I read I'm thinking of making a tank with Glass vertical panels and a thick acrylic bottom. The whole thing is structurally held together by silicone and that bonds well to both. I figure that might take away some of the risk of the bottom cracking and I was thinking of experimenting with an under-gravel pickup for a canister filter bonding in hose connections that go down into a custom made cabinet.

Are there any issues using the materials together?

silicone doesn't bond to acrylic.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the reply. I guess I need to look into what Acrylic tanks are assembled with.

While looking for materials I found a supplier of birch plywood with a fiberglass sheet on one side. I don't know what resin they use to fabricate it. I work with fiberglass with the aircraft I build so I may just make my own. In case someone else is interested, here is the link.

1/2" Smooth Fiberglass Laminate, Black - 510 - FRP Laminate Panels - TCH

You can make that yourself. An ordinary piece of 3/4" plywood coated with marine grade epoxy resin will be waterproof and is what many people make plywood aquariums out of. I recently acquired a 300 gallon tank with a broken bottom pane that I am in the process of replacing with plywood.
As far as the risk of the bottom of a tank cracking, as soon as you add a substrate it will protect the bottom and cracking will not happen. Even dropping a large rock on it will not matter. The only reason the bottom pane was broken on the tank I got was because it was dropped during relocation, and I chose plywood simply because a glass replacement was over $700.00.

Back
Top Bottom