Modding a book case into a stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I need something to put my 20g L on and I found this bookcase in the basement. It measures 36 8/16 long and 12 4/16 wide. I sat on it and its sturdy. The outside of the tank measures 12 7/16. I understand on glass tanks all the weight is distributed on the edges. So It would put stress on the tank with it hanging over. What I want to do is put a 2x4 or a piece of plywood on the back to "extend" the width. Would this work? Its only a 3/16 difference. I have another question too, the wood frame part of my tank is broken. Is this going to be a problem? When I leak tested it for 24 hrs it was alright. Should I tape it? TIA.

Can you cut some 5/8th or 3/4" plywood to the size of the tank and secure this to the bookstand and then place the tank on this.

Remember a 20 gal tank full will weight 200lbs or so.

When you say wood frame part. Are you refering to the faux wood finish on the top and bottom frames? Unless you have a very old tank that frame is most likly plastic. That frame is used to help support the joints. How bad is it broken?

I have modified several book cases into tank stands, one using 2 smaller cases. I use 3/4 plywood , oak or fir, depending on the case. Use 3/4 solid wood about 1 1/2 inch wide, glued and naided to the edges to strengthen and hide the plywood edge. Finish with poly varnish to resist water. Attach to the book case by using screws from the underside.

fishfreak,
Its the faux wood. Its completely split in half vertically from the side to the bottom of the tank (tell me if this doesn't make sense). I hope I don't have to get a new tank. I'll get some plywood for the book case.

Back
Top Bottom