Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Atxpunx
Modding existing filter

Could I get PVC tubing and an elbow joint to extend my filter intake to the other side of my tank to improve water circulation? Any suggestions ? Would the extra length or the elbow stress the filter motor and make it burn out? Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use a 55 gal and have a Marineland 350 bio-wheel on the right side of my tank. It works more than efficiently for my setup as I use an underground filter as well.

While the PVC idea is nice, it might end up looking tacky aswell. What I would suggest is getting two smaller ones. I know marineland sells smaller ones of the caliber that I have, with one bio-wheel and the 2 slotted back to back filters, instead of the dual slotted back to back filters. So that way you can put one on each side.

Depending one your tank, you might not need to extend that though, is your tank overly dirty? What size tank do you have? What kind of filter system are you using? Do you have it directly uncovered by a window?

Old 07-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm sure I have sufficient filtration and my tanks are small ( a five gallon and a twenty tall). I got the Idea watching the returned water bubbles only on one side of my tank thinking it mainly intakes the water it already filtered. My tanks are away from windows and always covered , just always thinking of ways to make things work better.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

[QUOTE="Atxpunx"]I'm sure I have sufficient filtration and my tanks are small ( a five gallon and a twenty tall). I got the Idea watching the returned water bubbles only on one side of my tank thinking it mainly intakes the water it already filtered. My tanks are away from windows and always covered , just always thinking of ways to make things work better. Also thanks for your help!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Placing an ext elbow on your intake is prob gonna decrease the output of your filter, it shouldn't burn up your motor, these lil electric pumps are for the most part, pretty hardy. You'd have to run multiple elbows and decent length to actually burn it out
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com