moonlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
awg 20 should be fine.

diffusers - are you talking about eggcrates, or those plastic panels that are used for flourascent lighting? if your talking about the panels they do block a little, but they do really remove the spot light effect very well,

if you didn't want to buy a roll of wire, what i usually do, is go to home depot, and go find their ethernet cable, and usually get about 10ft or so, its 34cents a foot, and in the ethernet cable there are 6 wires, so you get alot of wire, really cheap.

a switch is a switch, and as long as you don't exceed its amp/voltage (usually max ratings for switches are 120v-240v / 2 - 20amps) ratings you can use it with no problems, that switch seems a bit overkill to me, having quick connectors but yeah it would work just fine.

wattage does play a role, but i did the the math a few days ago and the wattage generated by each led is under 1/4 watt (250mW) and the most common resistor wattages are 1/4w (250mW) or 1/2 (500mW) so it doesn't really make a difference. using a larger wattage resistor won't harm anything, and it does offer a small cushion of protection if something unforeable was to occur. my final opinion use
1/2watt resistor.

and what kind of radio shacks do you have maryland anyway? they don't have a broad selection of switches, resistors or anything good. my 5 local stores are stocked to the gills with stuff, and its kind of bad i have a better idea where stuff is in the store than most employees.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...name=CTLG_011_002_011_000&product_id=271-1716

something like this would work better, you just use your hands to turn up/down the pot, with the one in your link you will have to use a screwdriver which can be a pain in the butt.

the resistor will be fine, however if you give me your voltage source i will double check your math, just to be on the safe side.

you probably won't need a diffuser, but you might want it. i would suggest building the moonlight setup trying it on your tank, and if you don't like it, try the diffuser.

it should come with a knob.

math -
4v - 3.3 = .7v / 20ma = 35ohms.
r = 35ohms / 5 (number of leds)
r = 7 ohms per led.

p = v x i
p = 3.3 x 20ma = .066w or .07mW; compare - 1/4w = 250mw

everything looks good over here, good luck building!

radio shack sells it all but might not carry what your looking for in the store.. there cataloge that they can order from has right about everything you could think of as far as electronic componets are conserned.. They can order it for you if they dont have it on hand..

the difference is pretty negliable anyway, it shouldn't make a real differnce. so yeah go for it.

math -
4v - 3.3 = .7v / 20ma = 35ohms.
r = 35ohms / 6 (number of leds)
r = 5.8 ohms per led ~6ohms

so i can still use the 35.7 resistors i have now?
do you have any ideas for a housing for it? i dont have a canopy, i've heard of using half of a pvc pipe. is there anything else that will look good?

35ohms should be alright.

i have built a couple with a 1 x 1, where i counterbore a hole for each led, having the widest point of the hole house the led, then ran the wires through to the other side. it doesn't look that great but i have always had a canopy to hide it in.

would it be possable to make a wood frame and wrap thin sheetmetal around it?
also once i put it together how would i make sure the powercord couldnt get pulled out or something like that ;)

If you have a stiplight you could mod it to get the led's in it.. hide the wiring up inside it with the rest of its wiring.. you would have to take it apart and figure out were you would like to put them and drill and such but you could pretty much hide them that way.. just a though..

i do have a new corallife, i'd hate to mess it up though. how would i got about mounting the pot in the light?

well usually they come with a washer and nut, you just drill a hole, slide the pot into it, then use the washer and nut to secure it, and your all done.

Back
Top Bottom