More Stand Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IMPERATORFAN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting closer to starting construction of my stand. Any suggestions on what I should do for water proofing. I'm going to be using 3/4 oak plywood for the frame and solid oak on the exterior. I had planned on just staining and coating with polyurethane. Anyone think I'll have trouble with the wood warping or the ply coming apart from moisture getting in. Also, I'll have a refugium and sump in the stand. Any suggestions on what I might coat the interior of the stand with to protect it?

Are you going to glue the joints? If so, I recently used "Gorilla Glue" on a project and liked it a lot. Make sure you use plenty of clamps and wipe up any excess. It tends to expand a little and ooze out of seams as it cures. Also I would pay a lot of attention to sealing any exposed ends of the plywood. This is where it will start to delaminate first. Several coats of a good polyurethane sealer should provide you with a beautiful, durable finish for years to come. Good luck! Another alternative you might consider is framing up the stand with 2-by stock and making the exterior out of removable panels. You could use thinner plywood if you did this and it could make maintainance much easier in the future.

You can seal everything with marine spar finish - this is meant for wooden parts on boats & will stand up to even salt water.

i built myself a stand a few months back.. and i used polyurethane [hi gloss stock, had a full can in the garage] on the frame, and coated every inch of exposed wood. the stand was for a 55gallon tank (48"L x 30"H x 13"W) and i used about 1/2 quart of poly, and put on about 2coats. i built mine fairly close to the design found at garf.org, and for skinning i just used 1/4 finishing ply and used polyshades from minwax [stain and polyurethane in 1application].

i really like the polyurethane on the frame of the stand, i know for a fact nothing is getting into the wood, ever. i suggest using poly, but i have heard of people using the spar finish stuff before on the forums, however it can be hard to find in some areas, and thompson's water seal too. problem with thompson's at some point it will need to be re applied, not sure if that's true for spar finish but at least with polyurethane it never needs to be re applied.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm finally throwing in the towel on the 3/4 ply structure and going with 2x4's and 4x4's. I was being as stubborn as I could be for months in planning this stand ... but I've just had way too many people recommend I go with 2x4's. I'm going to start drawing up a new design today. I'll look into both the spar and polyurethane. I'm guessing spar should be available at West Marine (they've got just about everything for boating) Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom