Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by negligent_inmate View Post
didnt get around to sketching up anything today due to it being Mother's Day and all, but idid decide that im def gonna do it. gonna be a painstakingly slow design process, as to i must make sure i can fit all the operating gear inside the stand without causing clearance issues.

and Mr. Limpet--i know you mentioned setting proximity sensors so that i could slave the pump so it eases to a stop, what if i use a form of semi-soft rubber bumpstops, that way the last 2 inches or so of either up or down travel will be cushioned?? think that would work in place of the proximity sensors??
oh and on a side note, i am gonna attempt to stop the "fish bug" with my 55g. im gonna try to not go any bigger than that but we shall see. in a little less than a year, ive gone from a single 10g non-planted w/ in-tank filter to a 20g planted and cycled with HOB filter....doing good so far lol
Yep, breakfast with mom (in law), shopping and working in the garden.

I'd suggest before you get too involved in plans to build it, that you check out some lift companies and see what they have laying around. I can tell you from my years as an engineer in a mfg plant, we had a bone yard full of demo, refits and what not, and we used to pay some guy to haul junk away.

Here's a link of what I was thinking of and I bet a used one is laying around somewhere for the price of the steel, or a "just get it out of my sight" yard manager that will thank you for getting it out of his sight lol.

I understand what you mean, but rubber bumpers won't eliminate the shudder, only soften it (maybe) but will it be enough?. What I meant is that when the p-switch is triggered, it would cut the flow down until it reaches it stop point and it won't add that much to the cycle (up/down time). I'd be really leery of having 500lbs of tank doing anything but stay undisturbed, but I over engineer everything since I live in earthquake country lol

Oh and just to throw a wrench in you're plans, if you're thru the trouble of doing this, I was thinking a 125g tank would be a better option .

Old 05-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

umm was there supposed to be a link?? lol and did i mention you suck??
i would absolutely love to go with a bigger tank, but 125g?!? thats gonna be over 1,000 pounds... now thats insanity. In all honesty, i will have to check on my space and floor... seeing as to how this tank/stand build is going on my main floor, also a baasement below, just dont know if the floor can hold 1,000 lbs.

ill jump back on in a little while with some answers

p.s.- you couldnt tell me that the 55g is a decent size and id be happy?? nooo had to throw that curveball at me lol

Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
umm was there supposed to be a link?? lol and did i mention you suck??
i would absolutely love to go with a bigger tank, but 125g?!? thats gonna be over 1,000 pounds... now thats insanity. In all honesty, i will have to check on my space and floor... seeing as to how this tank/stand build is going on my main floor, also a baasement below, just dont know if the floor can hold 1,000 lbs.

ill jump back on in a little while with some answers

p.s.- you couldnt tell me that the 55g is a decent size and id be happy?? nooo had to throw that curveball at me lol
I'm just sayin' in for a penny, in for a pound lol.

DOH! Here's the link. I've worked with this style (they're great) and don't look at the price tag, just copy the design.

Amazon.com: Vestil Scissor Dock Lift - Electric/Hydraulic, 5000-lb. Capacity, 96in.L x 72in.W Platform, Model# WL-100-5-68: Home Improvement

Yep, most people don't think about the structural support when putting in a big tank. 55g shouldn't be an issue, but it's smart to evaluate before that the clean up afterwards

PS - You're lucky I didn't say 300g! Woops did I just say that? :P?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

guess i best borrow a welder and some glasses... ohh and as much as i want to curse you for mentioning the 300g tank...thats just entirely wayyy too big. checked my space and dimensions, and TA DA!! i gots room! so its on.im gonna look into getting the pump and im gonna decide on weither or not to go the 135g route .
Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
guess i best borrow a welder and some glasses... ohh and as much as i want to curse you for mentioning the 300g tank...thats just entirely wayyy too big. checked my space and dimensions, and TA DA!! i gots room! so its on.im gonna look into getting the pump and im gonna decide on weither or not to go the 135g route .
HAHA! I put that up because it was way over the top :P. Too much unless your SCUBA certified lol.

So you saw the link and I think that gives you a good idea of what I was suggesting. Self contained, power assist (hydros) and you could even do some kind on stage style skirt so you don't see the mechanix when it's being raised.

Keep us posted and if you need to bounce anything off me, feel free.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

no part in thanks to Mr. Limpet for planting the 135g thought in my head...
Old 05-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
no part in thanks to Mr. Limpet for planting the 135g thought in my head...
I'd agree to the 125g, I mean if you're going to use all the energy and money, why not get a bigger, nicer tank while you're at it, just sayin'
Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I know this thread has been dead for awhile but as the OP, id like to inform mr limpet that partly because of his comments,I ended up buying a 125 and now have a established predator tank
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

and since you commented and placed blame putting this back at the top, i hope your revisiting this idea huma. seems like it would be really simple and cool. you wanna talk welding metal for fish, ill give you any help i can.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow I really wanna see this if u end up doing it... if it works out well I might take on a 60 cube for a coffee table even though it sounds like it would be a month or two straight of headaches but would be absolutely amazing lol

Tags
55 gallon, motor, oto, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com