Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Movable tank stand???

Has anyone here ever put the magic sliders under their tank stand so as to be able to get behind it when space it tight???
If so what did you use?
Thanks
Don

Old 01-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I would be concerned over the massive weight. Unlike 99% of furnature items even a small tank of 55 gal or under is going to be several hundred pounds when full of water and while moving that much weight isnt hard with the right equipment when its water weight stopping it can become the problem. Moving also puts stress on the corners that was not inharently designed for due to this shifting of water weight.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks,
It is a 58 gal 36"x18"deepx21"high, i was think of putting at least 8 of these little sliders on the bottom so the weight is distributed evenly. The movement would only be maybe sliding it forward about 10 - 12 inches, and that's only if I ever need to get back there.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I wouldn't chance it .... Everywhere I read the recommendation is never to move a full tank ..... Problem is the weight of the water and the momentum generated with the move. Your stand will stop but the water will continue to move, pushing on the glass & possibly busting a seam.

For the record I have moved a full 10 gal, but that created such a wave inside the tank that a few inches of water end up on the floor.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did what you want to do about 3 years ago with a 33g and after about 1 month of moving it only a few times it began to leak. Don't do it!
LIVESTOCK:
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

58 gallon tank will be in excess of 600 lbs total weight Do not do tanks are not designed to be moved when full moving one could result in a leak or broken pane of glass-Anne
Old 01-31-2006, 07:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks to all, I do not think it is worth the chance and I appreciate your sharing your experiences

Don
Old 02-05-2006, 01:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I moved a 37 gallon with those sliders, but I drained it down so only about 5 to 6 inches of water was in the tank. I then gently picked up each end and my helper slid the sliders under. Worked great and no damage to the tank.
Just don't try it when it's full.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
if anything buy industrial casters, A friend of mine made his stand and used 4x4 post on the corners so he could drill holes in the btoom of the post to put inflatable rubber industrial casters in it and roll his tank in and out of the spot its in, I think each caster is rated for about 500 lbs and only like15 bucks a piece

Tags
stand, tan, tank stand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com