Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2005, 11:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

moving my tank in wall

I will soon (maybe summer) be moving my 55 gallon from a cabinet stand in our living room to inside the wall right behind it (picture frame style), behind the wall is a large walk-in closet that will allow for this

my questions are

a) should i move the tank out a little, do the work to the wall, set up a new tank with new equipment and let it cycle, then add the fish, then resell/trash my old stuff

or

b) should i move the tank out a little, do the work to the wall, transfer the fish to a cooler/temp tank in their own water, drain and save some of the water, re-establish the same tank into the wall and add back in partial water change/old water with the same equipment

I have 25 or so fish, well established for the last 4-5 years that survived a move from an apartment to our new house last june, so i feel confident the move wont stress them too bad but i used the same tank, equipment and partial water

I would like to take the opportunity to move up to a bigger tank, 90-150 gallon while i am doing this but am concerned with moving them to a complete new set up

any thoughts, ideas or opinions??

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Old 02-10-2005, 11:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

[center:43a0862737] Welcome to AA, dsotmoon!! [/center:43a0862737]

I am moving this to the DIY Forum--you will get much better help there.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm, maybe your Q isn't better off here. You really have two very different questions.
~How to set up the tank
~How might the fish react to a new environment

I can help with the second Q
Your fish will love a new tank. Transfer the substrate and use the old filter while the new filter is establishing on the new tank and add the fish. This is not the time to add new fish. Allow both filters to run, or if you are using canister filters on both, you can transfer the media to the new filter and ditch the old one.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

If you're interested in a larger tank, there's no better time to do it than with this plan. Move the tank out from the wall some, prep your space for your new tank. Get it hooked up a plumbed. Xfer yoru fish to a temporary space with some of their existing water. use the rest of the existing water/substrate/rock to set up your new tank. With active LS/LR you should barely have a cycle to deal with. Just be sure you put your NEW substrate on the bottom of the tank first, then the existing substrate on top of that. I would probably leave a couple decent sized pieces of your LR in with your fish while they are in the temp holding space.

This is what I'm considering doing when my new stand is complete. I'm building a stand that will hold either a 55 or a 90.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menagerie
Hmmm, maybe your Q isn't better off here. You really have two very different questions.
~How to set up the tank
~How might the fish react to a new environment

I can help with the second Q
Your fish will love a new tank. Transfer the substrate and use the old filter while the new filter is establishing on the new tank and add the fish. This is not the time to add new fish. Allow both filters to run, or if you are using canister filters on both, you can transfer the media to the new filter and ditch the old one.
thanks for the welcome, i dont think this is exactly a DIY questions as i know what to do for the most part, my main concern in this is for the fish and the set up or transfer of old/existing equipment

Quote:
If you're interested in a larger tank, there's no better time to do it than with this plan.
i think i agree, although a 55 gallon is plent big for the fish and wall i think a 90 would "flow" better in the room and allow to add more fish in the future
Old 01-31-2009, 10:04 PM   #6

haha, well, while searching for something else online i found this original post i made, over 3 years after i made this post i finally did what i said i was going to do, i hope you enjoy the pictures from start to finish...

here is a pic of the 55g, the 135 g will be inside the wall right behind it

if you look at this pic, to the right you see the front of the current tank, take out all the clutter you see in the closet and imagine the new tank sitting there pushed up against the face of the wall where the back of the current tank is now...

my wife helped me clean out the closet and i took out the shelves and base moulding...

then my wife wanted to release some anger for some reason and i let her put a whole in the wall with the hammer ...

and then i used a utility knife and hand router to take out the drywall on the back side...

i got the old wall cut out to a rough dimension, went to Lowes and got the pressure treated lumber, I could have saved some money by using regular lumber but i thought the extra money would be worth it so that i never have to do this again, then i started building the base to hold the new tank, using mostly 4x4's to handle the weight...

Old 01-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #7

heres the tank...

i have the base structure done with the plywood top screwed to it and got the cut out done in the wall since i have accurate measurements from the tank now, you can see from the cutout how much bigger it will actually be than the 55

almost there....

Old 01-31-2009, 10:06 PM   #8

got the picture framing done...

this is what it looks like after one coat of paint, still have to apply another coat and paint the trim...

done

i used a black sheet attached with velcro from the back to block the view into the closet, bring out color and allow easy access to the back when cleaning

Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Roberz00 Send a message via Yahoo to Roberz00
AWESOME JOB!!! Wish my wife would let me do that but I guess I'll just have to settle for what I have as I have them. **sigh**
Old 02-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Great looking job. Congrats.

Tags
moving, tan, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com