Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

MrBeta's DIY Fluval Edge Build

So I'm DIYing a Fluval Edge out of an old 20g tank that I could neither sell nor give away as a gift for my mother.
I've got the glass cut to size and mocked up as a cube but I'm trying to determine the best way to notch out the glass for the filter and the lights.

My best guess is to drill holes in what will be the inside corners of the notch and score between the holes and then out to the edge of the glass and try to stress the scores to break evenly.
I've also thought about drilling several holes and just trying to break it out.

That's the only pic I can find right now of what I'm talking about.
I'll see if I can grab the glass and take some pics of what I need if it's not clear enough.

I've Googled "notching glass" and "cutting glass" and found a few ideas but I figured I'd ask before diving in and breaking the glass.

Since I'm building this out of an old tank, I'm using almost every bit of glass so there's no room for mistakes. I know I can do it myself so I don't want to take it somewhere and have it cut for me.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Use acrylic...
Cut it with a table saw

Old 08-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

There are a number of videos on YouTube, from Bohle that deal with odd cutting. The necessary equipment you won't have, but it may give you some ideas to adapt.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

if you have a dremel, you might look into using a diamond cutting wheel and lots of water to cut the glass. it's not supported by dremel but several people have had luck cutting glass with a diamond wheel. you might google it and give it a look
Old 08-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffp
if you have a dremel, you might look into using a diamond cutting wheel and lots of water to cut the glass. it's not supported by dremel but several people have had luck cutting glass with a diamond wheel. you might google it and give it a look
That is what I was thinking about doing. Just gotta get some wheels.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Let me know if this works I'm kinda interested.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well we'll see how it goes. I've ordered a glass drill bit which should be here Friday or sat so that I can drill the corners and dremel the straight cuts.

Here's a pic to put my money where my mouth is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3339192002.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	49758

I'm working on lighting (3w LED and driver) and we'll see where this takes us.

Edit to add: the top glass is very dirty and covered in old silicone.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

This thread has my interest! Subscribed...

How does your DIY tank compare in size to the Edge? Slightly bigger/smaller or bang on same dimensions?

I love the look of the Edge, would love the chance to build one from the bottom up (like you).
Old 09-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Editor
This thread has my interest! Subscribed...

How does your DIY tank compare in size to the Edge? Slightly bigger/smaller or bang on same dimensions?

I love the look of the Edge, would love the chance to build one from the bottom up (like you).
Well since I used an old 20g tank, I used the sides of the 20g for the top and bottom of my Fluval copy. I'm pretty close to the dimensions of it's retail counterpart bit not 100% accurate. When I was determining the height of the tank, I just eyeballed what looked good and it came out about the same. This was just an off the cuff project and so far I have about an hour in it.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I'll add another post with a question.
I have some GE Silicone at home and my question is will that be enough to bond the sides to one another or should I use another product?
I know it will seal the tank and that it's fish safe after cure time, but will it be strong enough to keep the tank together?
When I taped the tank together, it was rigid so I don't think I'll have any problem but there's always that sliver of doubt.

Tags
build, diy, fluval, fluval edge, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com