Multi-chambered 4 foot tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessibell

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if anyone has attempted to build a tank that has multiple chambers? I was thinking of something that has sectioned-off quarters but shares the same water.

I'm not in the position to do something like this right now, but t's a hypothetical idea for the future. I'd like to use something like this for a guppy setup, where males and females can be housed separately, fry can be raised seperately, and breeders isolated. Having several different tanks takes up so many cords - each one has to have a light, heater, and filter - and the small tank i am using for fry rearing is difficult to maintain stable water conditions. I know people try to stay away from usuing the same water for several tanks to limit the spread of disease, but since the fish would be being transfered from one to the other every so often, each tank would have been exposed to one another at some point anyway.

I was wondering what kind of filtration and heater setup would be used for a design like this. I drew a picture of it on Sketchup.

4385566492_bae594e34c_o.jpg

You can go to a local chain lfs and see their in-wall setups. Basically, each tank has a drain line leading to a common sump and returns via a common pump from the sump.

I've seen several commercial setups, like what you see in the chain stores, on Craigslist around here.

If I were you, I think I'd just get a big tank and get dividers. The dividers let water through so you'd have the same parameters across the tank and only need one filter and heater. You might have to add some finer mesh to keep the fry from going through the divider, but I still think that would be your best option.

Back
Top Bottom