Multiple breeding tanks using one main canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dvanhorn90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im currently breeding some fish in 10 gallons. I want to expand with more tanks but dont want to individually use different filters and lights. Is there a way to rig together some pvc pipes and connect all the filtration off one big canister or power head like they do in the stores? any links videos pictures will help. :dance: yeah yeah dance all night to my new babies!!

Welcome to AA :) ... If your not worried about outbreaks then your best bet would be to run all the systems to one large sump/refugium with either one large return pump or a few smaller ones

I have been on this site before just cant get my last login because my email was hacked and terminated. Im not really worried about outbreaks too much. Just want to see what kinds of setup are out there and what i really need to get this going. I see the stores have the intake on each tank and can turn them to make the flow faster or slower and i want this to, why not me?? j/k but yeah thanks for the reply and ill keep looking im not doing this setup anytime soon.

Dvanhorn90 said:
Im currently breeding some fish in 10 gallons. I want to expand with more tanks but dont want to individually use different filters and lights. Is there a way to rig together some pvc pipes and connect all the filtration off one big canister or power head like they do in the stores? any links videos pictures will help. :dance: yeah yeah dance all night to my new babies!!

The problem with a common filter means that all the aquariums will have the same parameters. Depending on the fish you wanna breed, the parameters could be waaaay different.

My solution would be get some foam filters running off an air pump or two. They are gentle enough to not suck up fry, oxygenate the water, and most importantly filter well. It's generally what people run in breeding aquariums. They're pretty inexpensive to boot.

Back
Top Bottom