Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya let me know if you have anything for sale, all the lfs around me have the same thing, and I don't really like to order online from places I don't know. I can see you know your s#%t and can defiantly be trusted.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

the third pump all the way to the right pumps water back into refuge and the refuge overflows into the same return chamber as the rest of the tanks. I was thinking about switching the first and last pumps to split it up a little bit.

not having refuge may save some weight too. I want to do setup now, but im still renting a family owned apartment. Its old, been here since before 1955 (threre was a big flood in 1955 and this house survived) and the support seems to be a little less then normal lol. Right now I have 55g 20gal fuge and 12g frag hold. I got it all jammed in the corner where I think has best support. All of my friends want frags of what I got so recently I've imbarked on all the new setups. But I feel any more weight and im gonna be in trouble. Its a small two family and im on the 2nd floor. Downstairs tenats may be getting boot so by spring i hope to have a basement to work with.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I want to drill my 55. With what you said mr.x about the hob overflow, I have been worried ever since. If that fails my 12 Will keep running and water on the floor is unavoidable. I was looking into it and I read that you can't drill temperd glass.

How do I tell if my tank walls are tempered or not?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
well, you can call the manufacturer and ask them. there is a date sticker on the tank somewhere. most tank bottoms are tempered, but it's not common to have tempered side panels. i have heard of some companies tempering them recently though.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its the basic 55 from petco. They have sales every now and then for $1 a gal on tanks. I'm going to go to there website and see.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
possibly aqueon. they claim the bottoms are tempered in some of their tanks. the website doesn't say anything about the side panels. here is their number.
M-F 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM CST @ 1-800-255-4527
Old 01-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you, very much. Did all the work for me.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bige View Post
I like it. But I would use the first pic then add fuge to middle. Using a pump to fill side fuge area isn't necessary. More water volume is always good.
Or you could use the right hand sump ,remove the fuge pump and add a T into one of the pipes from either DT then plumb in a new pipe with a valve to the fuge, adjust the valve to adjust the flow.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso View Post
Wow, very nice setup. Even with the cord mess it looks like a genius work. Very good idea with the overflow box. I never trust them anyways, the one I use now usually has an air bubble in the syphon everyday I wake up. I got to open the valve on the return pump then close back down to get it out. Can't figure what's causing it.

So mrX, how many tanks you have in that setup and what are you using them for. I feel like your the one to talk to after seeing your setup. I am impressed. Did you ever get anywhere with your one pump plan cause seems like the way to go.
I use a syphon overflow on my tank and the only time I've ever had an air bubble is when the filter on the pump or the impellor needed cleaning, another reason could be your return pump isn't man enough for the syphon,if there isn't enough flow going through the syphon air bubbles won't be forced through it and they accumilate until the syphon breaks.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

A buddy and I did a couple multiple tank set-ups for a LFS here in town. The first one was six 20gal longs plumbed into a single custom acrylic sump (about 10 or 12 gallons). First chamber in the sump was LR rubble, second was the fuge w/ external skimmer, and third was the return pump. We used a QuietOne 4000 highhead as the return pump. Each overflow and each return line had a ball valve so that individual drain and refill rates could be controlled, as the tanks were stacked 2, 2, and 2 above the sump. As a result returns were almost fully open on the top two and shut down quit a bit on the bottom two. Getting everything working correctly was a big P.I.T.A. to start with, but once things got worked out it was no big deal. Make sure you put some type of strainer on both the returns and the overflows - the LFS owner had issues with snails and fish in both.

The second one was two 55gal tanks plumbed into the same size custom actylic sump with the same set-up. They were also stacked, so again each line (overflow and return) had to have individual ball valves to control the flow. This one was nearly as difficult to adjust initially as the first one. Flow however was an issue in both of these - If I were to do it again, I would use an external return pump for this set-up; even a QuietOne 6000 didn't truly give enough return flow for this tank.

And I agree with Doug, I would drill not relie on external returns, especially not multiple external returns.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
setup, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com