Mumma's TV tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
Sorry guys. Busy Easter. :)
I've mostly reinforced the bottom. I've attached a back though kinda ugly and started building the false bottom. Hubby lost interest :/ so it's been all me. Lol. I'll get some pictures later. It's still pretty early in the morning here. :)
I've got some exterior paint. I went with white. It's (apparently) safe for areas of rainwater run off used for human consumption. The tanks going to be topless so I didn't want to have evaporation dripping from the paint into the tank poisoning the fish.

Good thinking. I would have never thought of that :)

image-197157889.jpg

Back.
I left a gap along the top for ventilation. I for got a large enough hole for power cables but I'll cut one later.

image-4258756150.jpg

image-3728073668.jpg

False bottom.
I'm going to put 2 more horizontal supports in.

image-3291108702.jpg

With front on.

image-847545791.jpg

image-413017150.jpg

image-2588937668.jpg

Problem!!
From ground level you can't see it has a false bottom but when viewing from the angle it will be at you can see the false bottom through the gap at the front. The tank will stop where the false bottom stops. It won't be able to get any closer because the plastic front is bowed. Ugly!

Mumma.of.two said:
Back.
I left a gap along the top for ventilation. I for got a large enough hole for power cables but I'll cut one later.

False bottom.
I'm going to put 2 more horizontal supports in.

With front on.

Problem!!
From ground level you can't see it has a false bottom but when viewing from the angle it will be at you can see the false bottom through the gap at the front. The tank will stop where the false bottom stops. It won't be able to get any closer because the plastic front is bowed. Ugly!

It's looking good!

Thats okay about the false bottom. It can't be perfect. But Maybe you can try to blend it by painting the part that shows to match?

George9 said:
It's looking good!

Thats okay about the false bottom. It can't be perfect. But Maybe you can try to blend it by painting the part that shows to match?

Thanks. :)
If I can't think of a way to fix it I'm going to painting it black so, hopefully, it will just look shadowy.

Why not just silicone the gap and then paint over it. Just make sure to really smooth out the silicone when you first put it on.

ohhh it is looking good.

+1 with the suggestions about the gap. It really is not that bad, but if it really bothers you, the black paint will do it.

Or maybe you can make some really cute artsy stuff that you can cover the gap. :) I don't know what, but maybe the kids can suggest something. hmm...

Mumma.of.two said:
Thanks Malawi Freak. I think that's what I'll do.

Andy, patience my friend. :p I broke my hand saw so have to steal something off my dad. Lol

OMG i read that first as "i broke my hand " Please don't brake your hand so u can finish this build lol

I wanna know how you break a hand saw o_O and i'm with Andy hurry up I want to see the finished product the waiting is killing me!

OMG i read that first as "i broke my hand " Please don't brake your hand so u can finish this build lol

I read the post the same way as tcal. Good thing it was just the hand saw. Whewww.....still Elise, you be careful. :)

We want you to be able to finish this project without any injury. Not even a poke. ;-)

Look up "Steve's TV fish tank (29 gallon " on Youtube. Its on the dustinsfishtanks channel. Just thought i would provide some inspiration lol

Haha! No broken hands. :)
^^^ I have seen it. It's pretty awesome.
Hoping to get to my parents in the next week and pick up some more tools. Then I can continue to cut off the top to make a lid. After that I have to paint the interior, sort out lights and a new HOB, tear down the tank, move the fish to a tub and de-rim the tank so there is no ugly grey trim showing through the 'screen'. After all that I can put it all together!

you just need to put a black trim strip across the top and bottom so it will look like when you watch a widescreen movie format on the tv. i think it's called letter box?
what would also be cool is if you had different color leds and used the channel knob to change the color in the tank.

FishEggs said:
what would also be cool is if you had different color leds and used the channel knob to change the color in the tank.

that's a really cool idea. Might get a little crazy with wiring, but would be awesome to see.

Back
Top Bottom