Mumma's TV tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tried de rimming a 10 gal once. it hurted my fingers a lot, you got to be Very careful....I cracked the tank.

I need to de rim my 46g bow front due to a broken center brace. Now all I gotta do is find one

Russ_gibbo1985 said:
If your tank is sitting back from the front face of ur tv because of the bow, could you not just 180° your full scape and slot the tank in the other way round, should butt up nicely with the front face then?
Just a thought. :-\

If I understand you correctly you mean use the side of the tank as the front? Unfortunately the tanks too large for that. It only just fits into the TV shell from front to back.

I know we are all eagerly awaiting updates but I've just moved house and have a home full of possessions, two little kids and 9 other tanks to organize. I promise I will post an update when I pick this project back up. :)

Mumma.of.two said:
If I understand you correctly you mean use the side of the tank as the front? Unfortunately the tanks too large for that. It only just fits into the TV shell from front to back.

I know we are all eagerly awaiting updates but I've just moved house and have a home full of possessions, two little kids and 9 other tanks to organize. I promise I will post an update when I pick this project back up. :)

That sounds to me like using the back as the front

Mumma.of.two said:

Lol nearly but not quite. Turn the tank full 180° not 90° so you use the BACK as the front. Presuming it is flat backed of coarse, you should then be able to post it in flush.

Ah. Got it. :) The front and the back of the tank are both flat and the same. It's not a bow front. The problem lies with the convex front of the TV itself. The CRT was bowed so the front plastic frame is the same. I was thinking of trying to modify it to make it 'flatter' but don't want to risk busting it because it's the whole centerpiece/appeal of the tank. :) I'll get the tank in there in the next few weeks (hopefully) and then I can have a play around with it to see if the gap can be disguised.

I just found this thread. Wow. If I had the space I would try this. There's always room for one more aquarium.

Started to de rim the tank and realized I only need to take the trim of the top and bottom at the front which is good because it's hard! FIY Razor blades and fingers don't mix!

image-3370744787.jpg

image-96199423.jpg

I also bought some expanding foam today. Hoping to use it to fill the gap.

image-245874657.jpg

image-2460726823.jpg

First fitting! All is well except that silly gap!

image-2260267853.jpg

image-3310424696.jpg

Last edited:
Oohhh now I understand the part about the gap.. I hadn't read your original post and I thought that the tank was bowed and the tv front wasn't.. lol my bad

Cut the top off to make a lid so I can actually get into the tank and light fitting. Still not sure what kind of lighting I'm going to use. I bought a filter a while back but it's not going to fit. Going to have to go with an internal filter or a canister.

image-812805285.jpg

image-539128493.jpg

With the button panel on.

image-3223992025.jpg

Last edited:
Mumma.of.two said:
Cut the top off to make a lid so I can actually get into the tank and light fitting. Still not sure what kind of lighting I'm going to use. I bought a filter a while back but it's not going to fit. Going to have to go with an internal filter or a canister.

With the button panel on.

I love it, wish that had been my idea lol. It looks great.
The gap that is in the front may not be as noticeable if you paint it the same color as the substrate that you put in the tank.. Maybe if you use gavel you could glue some of the gravel to the wood so that the bottom gap looks like substrate. Just an idea. I am following I want to see the final product. Great job so far

Thanks guys :)

image-426305054.jpg

image-10139523.jpg

Started painting the inside of the TV to try and protect it from moisture. I just painted over all the junk in the bottom instead if trying to remove it. The false bottom will cover it anyway. Also painted the two sides of the tank black so there's no chance of seeing the white paint in the inside. The foam background will be going back in to cover the back.

Mumma.of.two said:
Thanks guys :)

Started painting the inside of the TV to try and protect it from moisture. I just painted over all the junk in the bottom instead if trying to remove it. The false bottom will cover it anyway. Also painted the two sides of the tank black so there's no chance of seeing the white paint in the inside. The foam background will be going back in to cover the back.

This all just toooo cooool!!!

Nimo said:
I love it, wish that had been my idea lol. It looks great.
The gap that is in the front may not be as noticeable if you paint it the same color as the substrate that you put in the tank.. Maybe if you use gavel you could glue some of the gravel to the wood so that the bottom gap looks like substrate. Just an idea. I am following I want to see the final product. Great job so far

I like this idea. I think I'm going to paint it either brown like the TV frame or the same color as the sand I'm using in the tank. I don't want to put anything too enticing on the outside because my kids would probably end up picking it off.

image-1697021867.jpg

I decided to give the expanding foam a go. I'm hoping I can sand it down and make a nice curve to match the frame.

Glad to have time to pick this project up again! I'm getting excited and want to see it finished. I've wanted one of these since I was a kid. :D Started thinking about what I'm going to stock the tank with and how I'm going to plant it. Going to see if my LFS can order some common crypts in for me. IMO they are stunning plants for the amount of care they need. Thinking of going dirt with a sand cap. I've got a bag of PFS that I took out of my African tank that I'm probably going to use. It's got a bit of crushed coral mixed in with it but that shouldn't matter. Probably just going to add one of my Bettas to it with a school of something. Was thinking of maybe some shrimp also.

Back
Top Bottom