Mumma's TV tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Athaocity said:
oh ooh ooh
try red cherry shrimps! I think itll look nice

I've seen the one on dustin's fish tanks on youtube with cherries and heaps of moss. Looks awesome!

Sanded and coated the foam with one coat of epoxy. Doesn't look too bad.

image-256894464.jpg

image-1112440804.jpg

Last edited:
Mumma.of.two said:
I've seen the one on dustin's fish tanks on youtube with cherries and heaps of moss. Looks awesome!

Sanded and coated the foam with one coat of epoxy. Doesn't look too bad.

Looks awesome!
Now I am really excited to see this finished. I am so impatient lol

So I just broke the glass lid to the tank. Crap! That's the second time I've done that now. Bought a light today. It's a 20w t4 and fits perfectly but now I'm worried it could get wet and short out. The packaging states its strictly for indoor use only. I don't really want to spend any more money on lids for this tank. I could get some acrylic but it's so expensive. :/

Painted the foam brown like the frame. Doesn't look awful. Decided brown would be easier to match than the colour of the sand.

Mumma.of.two said:
So I just broke the glass lid to the tank. Crap! That's the second time I've done that now. Bought a light today. It's a 20w t4 and fits perfectly but now I'm worried it could get wet and short out. The packaging states its strictly for indoor use only. I don't really want to spend any more money on lids for this tank. I could get some acrylic but it's so expensive. :/

Painted the foam brown like the frame. Doesn't look awful. Decided brown would be easier to match than the colour of the sand.

I wouldn't use acrylic for the top it will bend from the heat. Glass all the way or nothing imo

Andrew McFadden said:
I wouldn't use acrylic for the top it will bend from the heat. Glass all the way or nothing imo

I am sorry to of your accident.
I agree the acrylic would have to be really thick or reinforced at best to keep it from warping. Glass is best, just be more careful with the third.

Check around in your local phone book. You could possibly find a place that cuts glass. Some of the places around my area that does windshield repairs will also cut flat window glass. So you might be able to give dimensions and have it cut.

Great minds think alike ;) Just got back from an aquarium manufacturer and he said he can make/cut me a new one for 16 bucks. Can't beat that! Thought I was going to be up for $50 worth of glass or something stupid.

Went on a shopping spree and spent WAY to much. Got a blue planet tank maid internal filter 700L/H.
image-332087991.jpg

The t4 light I got yesterday.
image-1381809560.jpg

And some awesome wood I found at the aquarium makers.
image-3540845119.jpg

image-4042239605.jpg

image-583787922.jpg

Mumma.of.two said:
Great minds think alike ;) Just got back from an aquarium manufacturer and he said he can make/cut me a new one for 16 bucks. Can't beat that! Thought I was going to be up for $50 worth of glass or something stupid.

Went on a shopping spree and spent WAY to much. Got a blue planet tank maid internal filter 700L/H.

This is gonna look great!

Mumma.of.two said:

It looks like the tv is turned on and the aquarium is the tv show lol

George9 said:
It looks like the tv is turned on and the aquarium is the tv show lol

Thats the idea of it! :)

image-16577442.jpg

image-1632525529.jpg

image-3242431692.jpg

Here we go. Sorry the pics are so dark. Substrate, wood and plants are in. Lots of tinkering will take place over the next few weeks. I'm not happy with it yet. Going to position all equipment out if sight eventually. It needs an extra inch or so of water in it but I don't have a lid to protect the light yet. The filter needs a spray bar. Its blowing the plants about too much. The button panel will have to wait a bit. I seem to have lost the screws during our move but I'm sure they will show up.

I have ran out of words to describe how awesome this tank is. Awesome, beautiful, amazing they are just not good enough to describe this set up. I want your TV tank!!!!

Thanks guys :D
All went well over night so I changed half the water to remove some tannin and added 3 cories this morning as well as some seeded media. Got a new lid cut this morning for $16. Very happy with that. Also made a spray bar out of some old canister filter tubing. The tanks coming together nicely!

Back
Top Bottom