My 2.5 gallon DIY Stand/Canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSU Fan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is a pic of a 2.5 gallon AGA that I built a stand(or base) and a canopy for! I am going to be moving my Betta into this tank.

This stand/canopy was done using plywood for the base with oak trim, and oak 1x3, oak trim, and oak 1/4" paneling (left over from the 75 gal stand i just built). Hope you enjoy!
[/img]

Attachments

• 2.5_gal_aquarium_-_base_for_new_betta_house_164.jpg
    2.5_gal_aquarium_-_base_for_new_betta_house_164.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 2.5_gal_aquarium_-_canopy_for_new_betta_house_546.jpg
    2.5_gal_aquarium_-_canopy_for_new_betta_house_546.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 206
More pics of tank!

Looks fantastic!!! I love seeing leftover materials from a project going to good use.

What kind of lighting do you have under the canopy? I'd just be concerned with heat - especially with a 2.5 gal.

a little 8 watt CF. And the temp is a little higher than I want (low 80s after the light was on for ~9 hours). I am thinking of going to Radio Shack and getting an AC/DC converter, and hooking up one of my old CPU fans to ventilate the heat out...

Me and my wife say thank for that comment Malkore...we are considering it... BUT WE NEED A MITRE SAW FIRST!

As the wife says: "No more hand mitering!"

That makes me think I need a Betta or three... hmmm... You could even do little 3D backgrounds! That is inspiring, dude. I am a big fan of miniature systems.

Could you post a picture of the back of the canopy? Just curious if it's completely enclosed or at least partially open in the back.

Looks really nice.

sorry for the delay purrbox. Been busy planting the 2.5 betta lately (I should note that the 2.5 is the first of my planted tanks!)...anyway, here are some pics of the inside of the canopy (looking at the back wall), and 1 of the back of the canopy. The cut out slot is for the filter and/or heater cords to exit the tank. I wired the light fixtures directly into the canopy. I have one 8 watt CF, and another fixture for another light if necessary.

Anyway, here you go!

Attachments

• new_again_077_549.jpg
    new_again_077_549.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 63
Very nice. I like the way that you used the metal brackets to solve the problem of resting the canopy on the tank. Someday I hope to get around to building a stand and canopy for my 2.5 gallon, so it's nice seeing what others have built. Of course I'll need to buy a few tools first.

Great great work, MSU Fan. I want. :)

Why put the socket near a side instead of the center? Easier mount while limiting light?

Back
Top Bottom