Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Where did you come up with the design? I am looking to build my own 55g tank and canopy and would love to copy yours... Also I basically dont have any equipment to build. How much do you think the project would cost me?

Old 07-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the frame is similar to a garf design. The exterior is a cobination of MDF and pine. Without proper tools it's hard to say what'll cost. I used just some basic equipment Skill saw, dremel, sander, power drill, etc. I didn't have a table or mitre saw which would have been best but i made due and it turned out good. materials ran me about 60 bucks i believe.

Just follow the garf frame so you know it'll hold the enourmous weight of your 55 gallon and then cover it in whatever fashion you desire. That's the fun part

link to garf design: http://www.garf.org/tank/buildstand.asp

Old 07-29-2005, 01:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Canopy is ready for paint. I just wiped it down with a wet rag therefore the wet spots.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:48 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
looking good zenn, can't wait to see a finished project.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Canopy after paint and poly. The flash really brings out the imperfections and honestly it looks a lot better in person. But as you can see it didn't turn out perfect and i'm a little dissapointed that it didn't turn out a better...but it still looks really nice and will work good. But i do think it'll look better when it dries too. the bottom pic is of the coralife lunar fixture installed.

Now just waiting on the ro/di filter to show up next week and the glass shop to finish my order so i can put my sump together. Still plan on filling the main tank with water on wed.

On a side note. I realized it is way cheaper for me to order aragmax sand online than at my lfs. I might possibly be able to get them to price match....we shall find out soon enough.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:17 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
lol i have a saltwater only fish store, that just adopted a price match (+10%) to internet sites policy. i was planning on getting them to use this on a mag drive pump and maybe some Mh bulbs / fixtures. i remember when sears first started doing this policy, me and friend raped them for so many brand new vid games (Gt 3 -13bucks, 2nd day after release was the biggest though.)

anyway, if you are talking about the finish on the canopy being imperfect, it could just be a polyurthane problem, sometimes when you have very high humidity (in cleveland for the past 2 wks we have had horribly high humidity) it doesn't cure correctly. its possible to fix that by taking some very fine steel wool (#00, or #000) and just give it a slight rub over the problem areas, that should make it uniform and hard to notice the imperfections.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

FILL DAY HAS ARRIVED!!

Got the RO/DI unit in the mail and installed it last night. Also, I started filling the display tank today. The sump is drying after siliconing the baffles in place. Should be filled sometime tomorrow

Old 08-04-2005, 12:35 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

WOW 8O ! nice
Old 08-04-2005, 03:56 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Its looking way cool!
Old 08-04-2005, 07:16 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

WOW....was i nervous when i plugged in the pump for the first time today. But i bit the bullet and thankfully everything works just how i planned. It's running well. The only thing i'm a little worried about it the return elbow at the top of the tank....the return pipe in the overflow is only press fitted into place like the instructions told be but i'm worried the mag 9 may blow it out of the bulkhead sending water jeting up into the canopy. But i haven't seen any signs of that happening but am still apprehensive. I may fab a brace or something to hold it down just for peace of mind.

But here's the pics of the sump in full action.

Tags
75g, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com