Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2005, 02:35 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

if i were you, i would take the air inlet off the maxijet ph. you dont need that aeration, and the bubbles will lead to excessive salt creep on the top of the tank. pointing the pump discharge at the surface is sufficient for good gas exchange.

~mike

Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3z24
if i were you, i would take the air inlet off the maxijet ph. you dont need that aeration, and the bubbles will lead to excessive salt creep on the top of the tank. pointing the pump discharge at the surface is sufficient for good gas exchange.

~mike
that's a good point. I probably will. I just wanted to try that air tube thing out and see what it did.

Old 08-12-2005, 01:57 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
Thanks for all the updates and pics zenn. Tank looks great!

congrats
Old 08-20-2005, 11:50 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

SAND ARRIVED

Got the caribsea suger-sized aragmax. I ordered 4 bags of it. Why is it cheaper to have this stuff shipped to me through the mail than just buying it at an LFS?

I washed the sand first but it still made my tank cloudy for a few days when i added it to the tank. But now that the dust has settled, i can see exactly how far the sand went. And i must say it went a long ways. My calculations must have been off as i believe i have a DSB in both the fuge and display tank. Looks good for now. Now i'm waiting on money for LR.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've added another 60lbs or base rock. Also, the doors are now on the stand and canopy. It's starting to look like a real set-up. I think I have room for 40 more lbs or liverocks.com LR to go in there :P Lastly, you can see just how far the sand went. I thought i was only going to have about 2" in the main. I ended up getting more like 3.5-4.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:39 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
your entire setup looks great, and its always a blast to see something go from just pieces to a finished project, thank you for sharing.

any ideas what sort of fish you will be adding ?
Old 08-27-2005, 01:48 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AquaJoe
Looks great. Seems I missed out on the part where you actually made the aquarium though! :P

Joe
Old 08-27-2005, 03:10 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
any ideas what sort of fish you will be adding ?
I'm trying not to get carried away with anything exotic. What i'm thinking is probably yellow tang, couple clowns, pair of neon gobys, and a flame angel. That'll be plenty for me to take care of. Oh, thinking about a BTA for the clowns too. My lighting is borderline sufficient for a BTA so i'll be taking a risk with that.

Quote:
Looks great. Seems I missed out on the part where you actually made the aquarium though! Razz

Joe
LOL. I bought the tank from an LFS. I've only really fabbed the stand, canopy and sump.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:02 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
i have kept small (about 4inch diameter) regular carpet annemoies on 2wpg before, i perched them on the higher rock cliffs of the tank, and they barely moved from that spot, and the clowns (i had tomatoes) loved their new host.

you might also want to look at the clown sweetlips, or the harliquin sweetlips, the clown sweetlips is one of my personal favorites, and has a great attitude and gets along with just about every thing. alot of people hardly ever see these in their local shops and i will maybe stumble across one every 4-6 months in my area but you can always try google and see if you like them, they do a little ugly in their older age though.

its hard to make certain from the pics but you might want to create more passage ways in the rock wall if you want to a yellow tang. if you wanted to leave the wall alone, you can always try to find a blue regal tang (the blue tang from little nemo), or one species of tangs that is just smaller and less saucer shaped.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:09 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

Looks good, I used the almost exact frame design for my tank stand, it's better than the garf design(the one we both used) since the weight is not all on the screws and glue.

Can you post a clearer shot of the doors(more light)

Snorkel

Tags
75g, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com