Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2015, 08:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

the filters:

I was advised by a local aquarium store employe to go with back of tank filtration instead of canister, since my system would be enclosed and out of sight, and quiet, making the overall maintenance more easy. I was also recommended to oversize the filter system. I went with a Aquaclear 70. I noticed with feedings that there were some areas of the tank that had very low flow. I could have added a power head but decided to add another aquaclear 50 at the other end of the tank to reduce/eliminate the dead spots. after a while, I began frequenting a new store that specialized in planted tanks. to create adequate airflow in the atmosphere between the tanks and to give me a way of pumping heat and humidity where I wanted it, I added a 100 gal capacity bubbler pump and thought, heck, I might as well add a sponge filter to it. my main adviser told me it couldn't hurt, so I went with his preferred brand Hydra Aquatics Bio-Sponge Filter (30 gal capacity). Each week I alternate cleaning one of the filters, figuring this will keep the good microbes in steady supply and not disrupt the nitrogen cycling.

The lights:
48" Finnex Planted +
30" Finnex Planted +

Old 03-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #12

My Aquarium Vivarium Biosphere:

my hope is that the plants and fish in the tank along with the plants and snake in the vivarium will all develop a symbiotic biotope of sorts. I found this quote that most accurately captures my fascination with this, which I have expanded to an aquarium vivarium biotope, essentially an eco-dome:

"The dream of many amphibian and reptile hobbyists is to create a complete living, thriving, self-sustaining, maintenance-free ecosystem that contains both reside plants and animals. With appropriate planning, it is feasible to produce a beautiful living terrarium that comes close the dreamed self-sustaining system. Beneficial microorganisms play a large role in the health of a terrarium and do much of the work involved in maintaining it for the keeper." (best reptile cages dot com / vivariums - vs - terrariums)

I use the term biotope loosely. technically it refers to a replica of a living ecosystem from a specific part of the planet. I have stretched it to mean a symbiotic compilation of plants and critters from a variety of tropical locations that have complementary heat and humidity requirements. part of the motivation is to offer a model for a super energy efficient system, in our case, one that can fit into the energy production of the solar panels on our roof, extending the concept of biotope to the whole house and ultimately this planet we call home. my hope is that my children can observe these inter relationships and through trial and error, develop respect for and understand of the delicate nature of the larger planetary ecosystem.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Vivarious View Post
the filters:

I was advised by a local aquarium store employe to go with back of tank filtration instead of canister, since my system would be enclosed and out of sight, and quiet, making the overall maintenance more easy. I was also recommended to oversize the filter system. I went with a Aquaclear 70. I noticed with feedings that there were some areas of the tank that had very low flow. I could have added a power head but decided to add another aquaclear 50 at the other end of the tank to reduce/eliminate the dead spots. after a while, I began frequenting a new store that specialized in planted tanks. to create adequate airflow in the atmosphere between the tanks and to give me a way of pumping heat and humidity where I wanted it, I added a 100 gal capacity bubbler pump and thought, heck, I might as well add a sponge filter to it. my main adviser told me it couldn't hurt, so I went with his preferred brand Hydra Aquatics Bio-Sponge Filter (30 gal capacity). Each week I alternate cleaning one of the filters, figuring this will keep the good microbes in steady supply and not disrupt the nitrogen cycling.
You could reduce cleanings of the filter to bi monthly or every three weeks.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:36 AM   #14

Do you mean alternate cleaning one of the three every 3 weeks...that would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-03-2015, 02:06 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, so you end up cleaning each filter once every 9 weeks which isn't that bad for filter maintenance. Or if you do it bimonthly you clean each one every 6 weeks
Old 03-04-2015, 05:25 AM   #16

Nice as dude!
Old 03-04-2015, 07:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can't believe I never saw this thread. Great build.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 03-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #18

My Aquarium-vivarium Dome Build And Tweaks!

Today I thought I'd run though the seals and how I got this set up pretty much air tight. The first shot is the lid: Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425494079.886470.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	266274

Under the lid is 4 inches of rigid foam shown here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425494218.286348.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	266275

Here, I used weather stripping that the top layer of foam sits on, held firmly down by the relatively heavy Tigerwood top lid: Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425494366.162061.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	266276

The inside frame of the tank stand is tight up against the tank, with sealant creating an air tight seal: Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425494447.518203.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	266277

I left room in the back for filters/sump: Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425494577.784232.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	266278

Old 03-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #19

Here is the reptile vivarium seal from the outside, held firmly in place by 6 stainless wing nuts:Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425494867.233384.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	266279

Weather stripping was added to the inside glass "door" to prevent leaking. I had to make the opening vertical, since the aquarium is on top. Vertical openings like this are very tricky. Creating an air tight seal required quite a bit of fabricating and trail and error till I achieved a leak free system ( for now). The seal is double sided and reinforced with silicone:Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425495132.298180.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	266280

In order to prevent leaking, I had to fabricate a silicone seal along the bottom, a bib of sorts, directing the water over the lower lip, back into the dished bottom of the vivarium, preventing standing water at the lower seal: Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425495370.549274.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	266281. The lid is hingeless, allowing for complete removal of the front glass. It does rest on a ledge and can easily pivot for routine opening and closing.

fancy shiny wood and water are a bad mix, so are water and insulation. by an apparent stroke of luck and hard work, it appears that there is zero moisture crossing the seal, which makes me very happy! perhaps my most rewarding accomplishment so far.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Aquarium-vivarium Dome Build And Tweaks!

I just feel sorry for the Hillstream loach. They come from cool water, fast flowing streams. I can't imagine it will live a long life in such a warm tank. They like high flow/high oxygen cool streams. My friend bred hers in a Riverine tank. Unheated, lots of flow.

I think it's a neat project, but maybe research the fishes' needs a bit more ?

Glad it's working for you.

My friend's eat Repashy Gel as their favorite food. They'll eat soft green algae as well.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...03&pcatid=3003

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com