Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-01-2004, 09:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
My Attempt at DIY Algae Tabs

Since I recently aquired a herd of ottos and a DBN Pleco, and I have a pond full of algae, I decided to try to make my own algae tabs.

My first attempt was just to scrape some algae, and place it at the bottom of the tank. This worked, but the other fish in the tank came by and ate it, and also spread it all around the tank creating a mess.

My second idea was to filter it through a coffee filter, and then to dry it on a piece of aluminum foil in the sun. This seems to be working so far, but I still need another day to see how well it will completely dry out.

My main question is how to preserve nutritional value. I assume that if I eventually freeze the algae, all of the nutritional value will remain in tact. I also assume that a sun dry will leave everything ok. I know if you boil vegitables in water, they loose a lot of nutricional value, would baking the sheets of algae in the oven also have the same effect?

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:14 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Vitamin C is heat labile, & there are prob. other nutrients that will be lost to heat. Don't know if fishies need vit. C tho. --- they don't catch colds now do they?

Here's a table of nutrients & what heat will do to it. There're prob. otheres on the web.

80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Thanks for the link, based on that information, baking is a way better alternative than sun drying to the damage UV light can do. Thats good news because it takes forever to dry in the sun.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com