My Attempt at DIY Algae Tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerMcAllen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since I recently aquired a herd of ottos and a DBN Pleco, and I have a pond full of algae, I decided to try to make my own algae tabs.

My first attempt was just to scrape some algae, and place it at the bottom of the tank. This worked, but the other fish in the tank came by and ate it, and also spread it all around the tank creating a mess.

My second idea was to filter it through a coffee filter, and then to dry it on a piece of aluminum foil in the sun. This seems to be working so far, but I still need another day to see how well it will completely dry out.

My main question is how to preserve nutritional value. I assume that if I eventually freeze the algae, all of the nutritional value will remain in tact. I also assume that a sun dry will leave everything ok. I know if you boil vegitables in water, they loose a lot of nutricional value, would baking the sheets of algae in the oven also have the same effect?

Thanks for the link, based on that information, baking is a way better alternative than sun drying to the damage UV light can do. Thats good news because it takes forever to dry in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom