Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2003, 03:23 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the compliments randy

Actually i got together with a guy from a local acrylic shop that did all the cuts on a table saw. I basically just told him what i wanted and we put it together. Just to make a box like i did and drill it for the holes is really not that much , just depends on the shop owner, they care more about labor time.

As far as spray injection goes i dont know any sites but any questions you have about it i can answer , just post it here or pm me ill be happy to guide you through it

Old 11-30-2003, 12:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Biotoxin is there a website or something that has steps to what you did? My dad works with acrylic and this would be cake for him to do, and I just got into saltwater and need a HOB skimmer. I have an air pump and getting a small power shouldn't cost that much to get (not nearly as much as getting a brand new brand name skimmer!!). I can't exactly tell by the pictures what you did or what measurements, my tank is only a 45 G - Also why do you need an airstone for any skimmer... plus doesn't your powerhead have an air intake (so would one need an airstone with the powerhead)? thanks!

Old 11-30-2003, 01:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\My Documents\My Pictures\P6210025%20copy[1].gif
I am trying to include a picture above (I don't know how yet) I saw a picture of the spray injection nozzle, I can't find it yet. I'll post it when I find it. If the above won't work, here is a link to the page.

http://www.proteinskimmer.com/accessories.htm
Old 11-30-2003, 01:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Biotoxin,

How in the heck do you post a pic in a reply? I realy wish I knew
Old 11-30-2003, 02:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
go to post reply.. not the bottom of the page reply.. and then it'll show attachment.. and below that it says browse.. go browse for a pic.. and one you hve the pic.. hit attach, then it will load the pic.. THEN you post the messege
Old 11-30-2003, 04:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Electrobes,

Well the dimensions are 7" long x 9" tall x 3 1/2" wide. What you need for the internal baffles are 1 piece for the reaction chamber thats 4 1/2" inches tall to contain the bubbles but if i was to do it again i would also put another piece the same size in front of the pipe to channel the bubbles more efficiently to the collection cup. Im surprised cpr hasnt done it yet but i see many flaws in their designs, but they're just lazy. Anyway the pipe cuts are 3 1/2 on both sides but make sure the outlet side pipe is larger than the intake. I used 1/2" for the intake. so larger than that on the output probably 3/4". All the elbows are 1/2" pvc (good ol home depot) i bought a 10 ft piece of 1/2" tube for i think 1$. The intake hole is cut just over 1/2" i measured it but making it slightly larger than the threaded pvc connection. The guy said it was just larger than 3/4" when we drilled it out. The collection cup is from tap plastics. its a 3 1/2" box and the funnel inside is just something i designed its from acrylic pipe and a scotch tape holder inverted thats the only ghetto part of it all. The other internal baffle is 7 1/2" x 3 1/2" before the outtake pipe. I used an airstone because the powerhead i was working with has a very crappy venturi and it wasnt until later i decided to do spray injection.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

http://www.precisionmarine.com/html/injector.html

This link shows quite a few photos of the skimmer injector. I'd post the pic but the picture is in some funky slide show java thing.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

thats whats called a Beckett injector and thats for skimmers that are skimming a large tank from 70-150g. The spray injection uses a different method than beckett. The aquac's EV series are spray injected and in-sump models. Are you looking to do an in-sump or hob? Im actually designing an in-sump spray model right now. Might have to patent it too
Old 11-30-2003, 08:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am looking at a skimmer to purchase though I have many plans that have me intrigued so I'm leaning tward making one. Injection sounds like the way to go but I can't find any DIY pages except the ones that I'm posting.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~cap/raid/skimmers/injectors/

A better look at Beckett type injectors in this link.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:11 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

the injector assembly is just basically a 90 degree 1/2" pvc pipe and u take a heat gun to a 1/2" pvc pipe and just push it together to make the spray nozzle. That will sit about 1/2" above the water and shoot water down into the reaction chamber. A nozzle like this for example. http://reefcentral.com/forums/attach...postid=1977788 or if you wana just go straight to the us trademark and patent page and do a search, put in the patent number (which is on aquac's site they just love to tote it around their spray injection patents) you can see exactly what nozzles they use etc.

Tags
diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com