My Diy CPR Clone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biotoxin

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my diy cpr clone. I put an airstone in it because the venturi on the powerhead sux. When i upgrade a new ph ill take out the stone. If you decide to use this design like i did, dont screw up and put the output pipe the same size as the input, it must be bigger for more outflow. Anyway my next one will be like the aquac since building this one i realize that cpr's design isnt that great. Any comments and questions appreciated

thanks diy. gona change it tho and try to do the spray injection method like the remora does.

I wish I could work with acrylic like that.

I have a Bak Pak, but the bottom is cracked. I have been thing about molding a piece of acrylic to the bottom of it to see if that would fix it, but the crack also extends into the corner of the unit where the two pieces of acrylic meet...

Grrrr. Sometimes, eBay just suck...

JB Weld Epoxy would fix that baby up nice.... Never have to worry about that crack again...

JB Weld Epoxy would fix that baby up nice.... Never have to worry about that crack again...

It would work on acrylic? Will it melt it so that it forms together with the other acrylic. I will say that I have used that stuff a ton of times and it is as strong as ever. I used it to epoxy an iron sight on a shotgun, and it is still there.

:)

The crack on my CPR is about 3" long or so. Its not loose or anything. In fact, at first I couldn't tell if it went all the way through or not until I poured some water into it, and it dripped through the bottom.

That stuff sticks to everything I have ever used it on... Not the prettiest stuff but it works...It won't bond the inside of the acrylic, rather will create a surface bond and seal the crack from the outside...

you can use weldon but there's acrylic solvent that actually melts the acrylic to itself or another piece, that might be better since you have a crack there.

Nice job! good precision.

I am very interested in working with acrylic. What do you use to cut it perfectly? Saw or do you score and break it? Do you suggest buying acrylic anywhere specific?

By the way would you have a link to how to do a spray injection method like the Remora? Like how it is done. I'm thinking about building a skimmer also.

Thanks for the compliments randy :)

Actually i got together with a guy from a local acrylic shop that did all the cuts on a table saw. I basically just told him what i wanted and we put it together. Just to make a box like i did and drill it for the holes is really not that much , just depends on the shop owner, they care more about labor time.

As far as spray injection goes i dont know any sites but any questions you have about it i can answer , just post it here or pm me ill be happy to guide you through it :)

Biotoxin is there a website or something that has steps to what you did? My dad works with acrylic and this would be cake for him to do, and I just got into saltwater and need a HOB skimmer. I have an air pump and getting a small power shouldn't cost that much to get (not nearly as much as getting a brand new brand name skimmer!!). I can't exactly tell by the pictures what you did or what measurements, my tank is only a 45 G :oops: - Also why do you need an airstone for any skimmer... plus doesn't your powerhead have an air intake (so would one need an airstone with the powerhead)? thanks!

C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\My Documents\My Pictures\P6210025%20copy[1].gif
I am trying to include a picture above (I don't know how yet) I saw a picture of the spray injection nozzle, I can't find it yet. I'll post it when I find it. If the above won't work, here is a link to the page.

http://www.proteinskimmer.com/accessories.htm

go to post reply.. not the bottom of the page reply.. and then it'll show attachment.. and below that it says browse.. go browse for a pic.. and one you hve the pic.. hit attach, then it will load the pic.. THEN you post the messege

Electrobes,

Well the dimensions are 7" long x 9" tall x 3 1/2" wide. What you need for the internal baffles are 1 piece for the reaction chamber thats 4 1/2" inches tall to contain the bubbles but if i was to do it again i would also put another piece the same size in front of the pipe to channel the bubbles more efficiently to the collection cup. Im surprised cpr hasnt done it yet but i see many flaws in their designs, but they're just lazy. Anyway the pipe cuts are 3 1/2 on both sides but make sure the outlet side pipe is larger than the intake. I used 1/2" for the intake. so larger than that on the output probably 3/4". All the elbows are 1/2" pvc (good ol home depot) i bought a 10 ft piece of 1/2" tube for i think 1$. The intake hole is cut just over 1/2" i measured it but making it slightly larger than the threaded pvc connection. The guy said it was just larger than 3/4" when we drilled it out. The collection cup is from tap plastics. its a 3 1/2" box and the funnel inside is just something i designed its from acrylic pipe and a scotch tape holder inverted thats the only ghetto part of it all. The other internal baffle is 7 1/2" x 3 1/2" before the outtake pipe. I used an airstone because the powerhead i was working with has a very crappy venturi and it wasnt until later i decided to do spray injection.

thats whats called a Beckett injector and thats for skimmers that are skimming a large tank from 70-150g. The spray injection uses a different method than beckett. The aquac's EV series are spray injected and in-sump models. Are you looking to do an in-sump or hob? Im actually designing an in-sump spray model right now. Might have to patent it too :)

the injector assembly is just basically a 90 degree 1/2" pvc pipe and u take a heat gun to a 1/2" pvc pipe and just push it together to make the spray nozzle. That will sit about 1/2" above the water and shoot water down into the reaction chamber. A nozzle like this for example. http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1977788 or if you wana just go straight to the us trademark and patent page and do a search, put in the patent number (which is on aquac's site they just love to tote it around their spray injection patents) you can see exactly what nozzles they use etc.

Back
Top Bottom