My DIY Filter - First attempt - WIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is what I came up with. There is a a BIO bag from my old filter in the top. I was going to use BIO balls but the soda caps were readily available and I figured they would work the same. Its a bit loud but, I think I can fix that with a few more holes in the top. Let me know if you think this will work as a second filter.

img_1755906_0_bf9d03335c26ebb1a953978bb1e6b566.jpg

img_1755906_1_36a822d18373ced40a5f6d97edf158c0.jpg

Video here: (ignore my 2 year old yelling "I win" in the background!)

I'm thinking by the lack of comments its a bust! lol

I saw the how-to on youtube and tried to improvise a bit. Any corrections would be greatly appreciated!

Y do you think you need a second filter ? I don't think the pop caps will work as a sub for bio balls. I think a mesh bag with some carbon in it would be a good addition too.

Y do you think you need a second filter ? I don't think the pop caps will work as a sub for bio balls. I think a mesh bag with some carbon in it would be a good addition too.

I dont need a second filter. Just running it in a tank that I already have established to see if it actually works. It has a mesh bag with carbon in it. As for the caps, the video watched used straws cut up. They said anything the bacteria can cling to would work. I just happened to have soda caps handy, lol.

I don't think the caps will creat the small spaces that the cut up staws will.

I don't think the caps will creat the small spaces that the cut up staws will.

It was worth a shot. I have some straw's so I'll change it up a bit. This is just a boredom project that I am messing with while I wait for my power head to be delivered so i can build a regular canister filter.

I'm not a very good DIY'er, lol

It is a good first try! You shouldn't feel like you aren't a good DIY'er, because you have done more than a lot of people by just attempting it. (y)

I've seen one similar to this with the water/Gatorade bottle as the filter housing. However instead of using air, it used a small fountain pump and the filter itself was not inside the tank. This design was more like a DIY HOB filter and yours is an air driven.

It is a good first try! You shouldn't feel like you aren't a good DIY'er, because you have done more than a lot of people by just attempting it. (y)

I've seen one similar to this with the water/Gatorade bottle as the filter housing. However instead of using air, it used a small fountain pump and the filter itself was not inside the tank. This design was more like a DIY HOB filter and yours is an air driven.

I will be building a better filter as soon as my powerhead gets here. This was just something I was trying to kill some time. Not sure if it has any biological effect due to the low amount of water circulation from using only an air pump.

Back
Top Bottom