My DIY iMac Planted Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well today I started my iMac aquarium, this will be a piece for my office so I thought a computer would fit best.

There is a lot more room in the case then I had thought, should be good for a nice 5g tank. Here are a few pics to start off, Ill be taking more measurements and ordering the acrylic today.

P.S. I have NEVER done a FW tank, I have always had SW, so any tips would be appreciated.

Edit: Could someone please move this to the DIY section?

Attachments

• pict0002__small__161.jpg
    pict0002__small__161.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 100
  • pict0003__small__167.jpg
    pict0003__small__167.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 133
Interesting .........cant wait to see how this progresses.

No particular theme in mind, any ideas? I do want plants for sure.

The size of the tank will limit your fish stocking options. I'd consider doing a psuedo SA biotope, with a small South Pacific flavor. A few cardinal tetras, a bristlenose (or other dwarf pleco) will probably do ok.

As for plants, java ferns, java moss and probably a compact sword.

You've probably thought this out already, but using the leg in the back with some supports to make the shell more upright should help with keeping the water line above the screen top but not so pressed against the shell's curvature. Perhaps a main tank near the front of the shell with a sump area in the back, so you use the curve to your advantage while hiding filtration and heaters? Like a nano cube. Ultrabright LEDs in the ventholes and apple logo at the top of the case might be the most elegant solution for lighting.

I have an old Bondi Blue iMac running Debian as a terminal and streaming client in the garage, and also find it otherwise useless: will be tracking this with interest!

Mine was also a debian server ( IRCd ). But has since been replaced.

Here is the site I got the idea from. There is plenty of room inside there. I plan on having an airpump, co2 reactor all back there. I plan on wiring the light switch to the mouse as well.

http://imacquarium.cool-mac.com/index.html

Thanks for the link. Mouse as a light switch is extra cool.

last week, i pulled apart a blue imac to do a nano SW tank. i havent put any work into it since, but ill be keeping an eye on yours in the meantime.

good luck.

~mike

You know, if you have the CPU chasis, you could put gut it and put shelves in it and use it to store your food and equipment.

Could also be cool to use a chase or chassis to store the ballasts for main and transformer for moonlights and such.

Too bad that with the IMac there isn't a separate box for the CPU etc. It's an all in one much like the old Mac Classics.

Back
Top Bottom