Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2009, 03:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I am with you, getting a Shop Smith in dec from my father

Here are the plans including the stand with sump.

Stand idea is not original, got it from another forum I visit, look forward to starting...days are counting til we are moved in to our rental home and I can get cracking... BTW a few support braces are removed to get a view of the sump..

Bear

Old 10-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

looks good.
couple of questions.

1) you have 2 sections in the midde. i assume the larger of the two will be your FW refugium area. what is the other section for?

2) did you leave space and/or make some kind of bracket to account for the light that will be needed for your refugium? keeping in mind the WPG section will only be relative to the amount of water in that one section of the sump, you can probably get away with a smaller fixture, but you will still need to mount it somewhere.

3) i see you have your plumbing running to the inside wall of the stand, and up to the tank. are you drilling the bottom of the tank and going with a durso style overflow?

Old 10-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodon king View Post
looks good.
couple of questions.

1) you have 2 sections in the midde. i assume the larger of the two will be your FW refugium area. what is the other section for?
from left to right (top pic) (L) intake (M) refugium (R) return

Quote:
2) did you leave space and/or make some kind of bracket to account for the light that will be needed for your refugium? keeping in mind the WPG section will only be relative to the amount of water in that one section of the sump, you can probably get away with a smaller fixture, but you will still need to mount it somewhere.
yes removed braces to make it easier to veiw

Quote:
3) i see you have your plumbing running to the inside wall of the stand, and up to the tank. are you drilling the bottom of the tank and going with a durso style overflow?
not drilling, I am using a DIY overflow. I have a couple ideas, and going to do some experimenting.

Bear
Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

sounds good. cant wait to see what you come up with.
i have been wourking on a couple of different bottom siphon style overflows myself. cant wait to get them in action.

best of luck.
keep us posted
Old 10-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #15

Here is a little idea to replace the drawer filters. It is made of 3" or 4" pvc. It would have a screw on top for access and a cap in the bottom. The intake and exit pipes are drilled and cemented into the filter. Then filter media is added. Could also be used for bio filtering just fill with pot scrubbers or bio balls.

Thinking of using 2 on my sump design.

Only thought is that the intake may be loud without an elbow in which case I would just put one on without cementing so it can be removed for filter repolacement.

Thoughts???????

A couple other changes I have made, Made the refugium larger by making the return section smaller (just a little larger than the pump) may use the these filters and pull them above the sump and the intake will spray over bio media via spray bars. More pics to come soon

Bear

Old 10-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

even a 6" dia PVC wont offer you the same volume for your media due to the shape.
i have made filters out of these 4" pvc similar to your image (but it was a stand alone unit), but with a sump, youre better off going with the traditional wet/dry section.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #17

For my application I am just using for mechanical filtering then adding the wet/dry section. I see where you are going for the Bio filtering.

Or am I just getting tooooooo elaborate

Bear
Old 10-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

in the end, youre just making it harder on yourself, as far as maintenance and all that jazz. the stackable drawer method, and the single section wet/dry system are tried and true. a layer of bio media over a drip tray, will easily handle your mechanical filtration, and will be hassle free when it comes time to clean or change media.

you know what they say. "if it aint broke, dont fix it"
Old 10-18-2009, 01:00 AM   #19

Ok, you are right. I am just trying to out smart myself and get too technical. Will stay with the 3 drawer organizer.

I work for the feds, we love to break it just so we can fix it

Thanks again for the honest feedback,

will keep you informed on my progress.

Bear
Old 10-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by john73738 View Post
I work for the feds, we love to break it just so we can fix it

i know exactly how you feel man. i sometimes catch myself building ridiculous things just for the sake of doing it. complete overkill. (ex: my 1g tank w/ 5g wet/dry filter @ 60x turnover/hr)

by all means, if youre feeling froggy... leap
but for something functional and practical, its best to stick with the ol' tried and true.

cant wait to see how this one turns out. the drawings look great.

Tags
diy, diy project, project, stand, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com