MY DIY project Stand/sump/etc.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi All,

Just a short note to let everyone know that I have not given up. I just have had to put it on the back burner to finish the final preparations for my Wedding Monday. Food, Deco, tables, etc...etc... Will be starting back up next month. Have a great design (as per me completely overkill) for an external overflow with durso standpipe. Looking to reduce the foot print of the whole setup.

More to come soon,

Bear

Hi,
I am back, and I realized that I found a great lady, she is pushing me to get started on my project. Sump and overflow start this weekend.:p

One question, does an overflow box have to just skim the top, or can it draw from different levels of the tank? I have an idea for a multi chamber skimmer tower that will draw from the top as well as the lower level of the tank. Will post pics as soon as I have put my idea on paper. As all have have read I am bound and determined to make this as complicated as possible while making it elegant :clown:

Cheers til later

Bear

i believe they go close to the top in case of a power failure. that way the least amount of water will drain out with the pump not putting water back in. dont want to overflow the sump all over the floor.

nope, boxes only skim the surface.
ive been working on a couple of PVC designs that allow you to draw from the bottom without creating a siphon (so, still acting as an "overflow")
but i dont think PVC is what youre going for

Found plans for a skimmerless overflow. Playing with ideas on how to create the best of both. Keep you posted.

Hi all,

Got the funding from the boss, and have a little time to put into the project. Skimmer "tower" has been started. The design is a 2 compartment design with seperate tubes going into each. 4 tubes in all will go to the overflow. When it is complete and tested will post pics.

Bear

One more question before I start........

Moving next month, the tanks are the last to go and the fish are being moved in 10 gal rubbermaid tubs. Now the fish from the 75 I am beginning the project on will be living there until I complete the project. I have a canister that I will modify the intake and return to be able to use in multiple tubs. Has anyone done this and how long would the fish last, or should I get larger tubs.

Tanks

Back
Top Bottom