my diy "rock" pieces and problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is my step by step. It was before I knew there was a dedicated "DIY" section

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/diy-rock-project-191067.html

Here are my pieces, to date.

ForumRunner_20120417_173015.jpg

The problem- I started this project using sanded grout and I love the look, BUT, after building-up many layers, my "rocks" are taking on water (when I submerge them, tiny bubbles come out of a few different areas on top of my "rocks").

I know NOW that I should have started with a few layers of JUST cement, since it is impervious to water. The sand seems to have allowed for voids and weaknesses, where the air from inside is able to break through, once pressure builds, as the result of submerging the hollow structures.

If I could add more layers of cement and grout, I would. I have built it up too much now and would be closing some of my smaller holes. Any tips on epoxy? Experience with similar problems and your solutions? Thanks

Those are some nice pieces good job
Wont it stop after while with the bubbles? Or are you just worred about it taking in water

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
Those are some nice pieces good job

Thanks a lot. It would be awesome if I could seal them and put them in my tank:)

I wouldn't mind epoxy, at this point, but I definitely don't want any "yellowing"

I used rusty iron plates as counter weights, so I don't want that getting into my water. I also used 2 questionable adhesives to glue the foam together. That is why I need it to be fully sealed. I should have mentioned that:)

Andrew McFadden said:
I used a epoxy resin on my background I got it at a boat shop but don't remember what it was called

How long has it been since you coated it? Has the epoxy yellowed any?

Home Depot sells a 2 part epoxy resin that is aquarium safe once its dry - unfortunately since I've only coated rock and foam with it I can't really tell you if it yellows.

Wy Renegade said:
Actually I think he's referring to the epoxy yellowing the stone not the water, but I could be wrong.

I actually meant yellowing from light and age...like certain acrylic sheets would? At this point I'll go for it regardless but I would buy something "non yellowing" first. Ya know?

Wy Renegade said:
Home Depot sells a 2 part epoxy resin that is aquarium safe once its dry - unfortunately since I've only coated rock and foam with it I can't really tell you if it yellows.

Thanks. I'll look for it.

i've created 3d backgrounds and sealed them without issue, no yellowing either.

west system: 105 epoxy resin
west system: 207 harder
west system: 300 pump set

the pumps make sure you have the best mixture ratio.

Nope not on that one. For future reference, DAP makes a household Adhesive Sealant sold by Home Depot that is aquarium safe.

Wy Renegade said:
Nope not on that one. For future reference, DAP makes a household Adhesive Sealant sold by Home Depot that is aquarium safe.

I'm sorry...just a little confused by your answer. "Nope" it won't leach?...or "nope" its not safe to use?

I'm sorry...just a little confused by your answer. "Nope" it won't leach?...or "nope" its not safe to use?

I think he meant not to use, that type has mold and mildew inhibitors which probably toxic to fish.

Yep sorry about that, wasn't very clear was I? I wouldn't use the indicated product - as stated it has the mold and mildew resistant chemicals added which are not good for the aquarium. I'd pick up the DAP Adhesive and use it instead.

Thanks a lot. Well, live and learn. I'm just going to use them in a desert set-up for a smaller lizard and start from scratch for my fish. I have enough of everything to do another project the exact same size.

Back
Top Bottom