My DIY Slate Structure! w/pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flash081

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just started my structure a couple days ago. Here is a pic about midway through!

Sorry about the poor pic. it's from a camera phone!

Attachments

• Slate 1.jpg
    Slate 1.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 2,843
Those look awesome! We did the same sorta thing with some round stones and then put one large flat piece over the top so they have something to hide under!

yeah I'm planning to put a flat surface over the top and then building a small cave on top of the platform. The only thing I'm worried about is the integrity of the legs. I'm trying to figure out some way to reinforce them.

I've been pondering ideas for the same sort of thing. Where did you come up with so many slate rocks? The LFS charges $2-$3 a pound depending on the color. and I don't want to spend $40-50 on something that I will be making myself.

Like Tracie, I too went to my local landscaping place. They usually only do yards, half yards, and the like but I told them I only needed a small amount for a DIY project and they let me take out a bag and shovel. I filled a whole paper grocery bag for $5. Needless to say I have a TON of leftover rock that I can build with =]

What you see in the picture is about 1/10th of the total amount of rock I got. Maybe less than that. However, when you do this be mindful that these places sell the rock to be used outdoors so they are VERY VERY dirty as they have no reason to clean them.
I washed the rock you see there for about an hour, boiled them, and washed them with vinegar and I still notice some dust/dirt particles on the white paper towel underneath.

The rock that I got is called SlateScape at the local store. It's also called Slate Chippings, Slate Aggregate, or Crushed Slate. I couldn't find any at our local Lowes or Home Depot, but a lot of members on AA have gotten their slate from those types of places. Most of what I found though was slate flooring which can have additives.

EDIT: Tomorrow (Technically later today after I sleep and get out of work) I should have a picture of the 75% completed structure.

Alright here is the pic from tonight. I should be able to finish it up tomorrow. I"m going to close off the top after it's about 3-4 inches taller and have a little cave up there.

I had taken it when it was dark outside so the lighting is really poor sorry about that.

Attachments

• Slate 2.jpg
    Slate 2.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 368
Flash081 said:
Alright here is the pic from tonight. I should be able to finish it up tomorrow. I"m going to close off the top after it's about 3-4 inches taller and have a little cave up there.

I had taken it when it was dark outside so the lighting is really poor sorry about that.

That's pretty sweet looking, good job man gives me more ideas lol

One good way I've cleaned my rocks that I've picked up out of rivers and off the side of the road is to hang the bucket in a tree in my yard. Then stick the garden hose in the bucket by the side of the rocks and just let it flow for a while, you will notice the water finally come clear. One of the larger ones I had to boil and repeat before the dirty stuff came off.

--Edit--

Oh and very very cool man. Looks great.

Flash081 said:
yeah I'm planning to put a flat surface over the top and then building a small cave on top of the platform. The only thing I'm worried about is the integrity of the legs. I'm trying to figure out some way to reinforce them.

Take a plate and put some silicone on it (preferably one you can bend) and then take a bunch of gravel and squish it on there and set you structure on it and silicone it to the gravel

Final Product! I just have to let it cure and soak now and it will be in the tank. I plan on putting some java moss all over it and some Jungle Val behind it to give it a more natural look.

It stands around 14" tall. The base is around 8" wide and the top cave itself is about 4-5" tall and about the same deep.

Attachments

• Slate 3.jpg
    Slate 3.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 356
Back
Top Bottom