Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilgrin
Well after a good night err days sleep here are some updated pics.

I'm not entirely happy with it as I said I'm no carpenter and my ambitions have meet with reality but I did learn a few things and what will need to be changed in order to get it to what I envisioned but for now it will do the job it was designed to do. My construction budget is nearing exhaustion so I'll have to live with it for a few months. Thankfully this is going to live in the basement so looking great is not that important, down here in the dungeon it's more about function then looks.
Looking good cant wait to see it finished

Old 10-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any updates on the stand

Old 10-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

not a whole lot of progress on the stand so far life has a nasty habit of getting in the way although I did manage to get some of my lighting and all my electrical done as well as complete the little bit of plumbing done so now I can get the waste water over to the drain.

I have pics of the lights mostly haven't had a chance to get closeup shots of the rest yet.

Hopefully will have more to show soon.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Life does do that lol lights are lookin good so far atleast you got little stuff out of the way lol
Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I did also get the side panels on as well started on the building the face frame for the doors before I got side tracked with other things but it was worth it came up with a completely different way of accessing the under tank area just going to mount one large panel instead of doors I think it will give it a cleaner look over all not to mention simplify the build considerably. Translation the wife is getting tired of all the wood dust since it's too cold and rainy to cut everything out side, so the front panel may have to wait till spring to get cut and mounted or at least till she'll be outta the house for several hours.

I'll post some close up pics of the under stand lighting as well as the inside of the light hood and some of the plumbing a little later on today.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I did also get the side panels on as well started on the building the face frame for the doors before I got side tracked with other things but it was worth it came up with a completely different way of accessing the under tank area just going to mount one large panel instead of doors I think it will give it a cleaner look over all not to mention simplify the build considerably. Translation the wife is getting tired of all the wood dust since it's too cold and rainy to cut everything out side, so the front panel may have to wait till spring to get cut and mounted or at least till she'll be outta the house for several hours.

I'll post some close up pics of the under stand lighting as well as the inside of the light hood and some of the plumbing a little later on today.
Very nice always nice to simplify lol cant wait to see the pics is this fw/ sw
Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Going to be a fresh water planted tank not going for a definite aqua-scape just want it to be heavily planted with a good assortment of colorful fish.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Going to be a fresh water planted tank not going for a definite aqua-scape just want it to be heavily planted with a good assortment of colorful fish.
Always a good option you should look up forktail rainbow fish
Old 10-24-2012, 01:44 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Actually I'm going with Bosemani Rainbows, Iranian red rainbows, and Turquoise Rainbows. At least that's the plan still have to see what is available locally the Bosemani and the reds I know are available the rest is still up in the air may have to wait till spring to order them through the mail.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok major update to this project had a few design changes due to my own lack of preparation and planning some things you just don't consider until you get there and all you can do is move on or give up I choose to move on and chalk it up to a learning experience.

So far the doors have been given the axe in favor of a much simpler removable panel just need to get the hardware and trim it to fit as well as getting some trim pieces to give it a nice finished look. Unfortunately Due to exhausting my construction budget that part of the build is going to have to wait till spring. The W.A.F. (Wife Acceptance Factor) is in the danger zone with all the dust not to mention the stink of stain and polyurethane so the rest of the construction is on hold till the spring.

Well on to the pics.

First of the canopy has been stained and has a one coat of wipe on poly.

Have about 4 coats of satin wipe on poly on the top of the stand

Finished up the electrical so everything is working as planned, Switch 1- Hood lights, Switch 2- Under stand maintenance lights, Switch 3- Water pump to evacuate waste water to nearest drain.

Good look at the led lighting under the stand as well as the electrical still needs to be neatened up.

Close up of the LEDS mounted on my aluminum bar complete with 60* optics, Fan mounted on the back to help dissipate heat. also a shot of my old 50/50 power compact fluorescent the bulbs are over 10 years old but they still work so I'll replace them eventually.

and the final shot of the plumbing at least on end any way ball valve is there to keep water from flowing back into the pump I'd rather leave it in the pipe till the next time. Also what I consider a must is the GFCI outlet that powers everything on the stand can't be too cautious.

All the wood is maple ply except for the top that is solid maple and the hood is clad in luaun ply (sp) stain is red Mahogany.

Tags
build, diy, diy stand, pics, stand, stand build, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com