My DIY Stand Build (WARNING Lots of Pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Evilgrin said:
Actually I'm going with Bosemani Rainbows, Iranian red rainbows, and Turquoise Rainbows. At least that's the plan still have to see what is available locally the Bosemani and the reds I know are available the rest is still up in the air may have to wait till spring to order them through the mail.

Evilgrin said:
Ok major update to this project had a few design changes due to my own lack of preparation and planning some things you just don't consider until you get there and all you can do is move on or give up I choose to move on and chalk it up to a learning experience.

So far the doors have been given the axe in favor of a much simpler removable panel just need to get the hardware and trim it to fit as well as getting some trim pieces to give it a nice finished look. Unfortunately Due to exhausting my construction budget that part of the build is going to have to wait till spring. The W.A.F. (Wife Acceptance Factor) is in the danger zone with all the dust not to mention the stink of stain and polyurethane so the rest of the construction is on hold till the spring.

Well on to the pics.

First of the canopy has been stained and has a one coat of wipe on poly.

Have about 4 coats of satin wipe on poly on the top of the stand

Finished up the electrical so everything is working as planned, Switch 1- Hood lights, Switch 2- Under stand maintenance lights, Switch 3- Water pump to evacuate waste water to nearest drain.

Good look at the led lighting under the stand as well as the electrical still needs to be neatened up.

Close up of the LEDS mounted on my aluminum bar complete with 60* optics, Fan mounted on the back to help dissipate heat. also a shot of my old 50/50 power compact fluorescent the bulbs are over 10 years old but they still work so I'll replace them eventually.

and the final shot of the plumbing at least on end any way ball valve is there to keep water from flowing back into the pump I'd rather leave it in the pipe till the next time. Also what I consider a must is the GFCI outlet that powers everything on the stand can't be too cautious.

All the wood is maple ply except for the top that is solid maple and the hood is clad in luaun ply (sp) stain is red Mahogany.

Not a bad choice of rainbows ive seen pics never kept them my self lol stand is looking good i like the effect of the stain

You could cintinue it outside there is an awning like tent called ez-up we have two works great for mid winter outdoor projects

Thanks I had the stain left over from a small project I did a year or so ago making my own custom boom box.
I have a 10'X10' EZ-UP in the garage but I'll just hold out till the spring since I won't be able to stain and polyurethane it anyway the wife is sick of the fumes and my garage is too small and not heated (yet, another project). But there is some good news I got the tank setup and planted last night still need to do a few more water changes to clear up the cloudy water but it's looking good so far.

Don't mind the clutter under the stand pics were taken right after flooding the tank it's since been taken care of.
img_2175027_0_a490c7d40970947f135d5c492a62d214.jpg

img_2175027_1_1ff82377a4e15d567388150ec2b6b9b5.jpg

img_2175027_2_4faa95f2612ee38b2249b9261f0b15c2.jpg

quick peek at the lights in operation still need to adjust the height of the 50/50 bulbs to get them a bit closer to the water.

img_2175027_3_fae9b18a8a7e4a8ce0111410f1543cb5.jpg
img_2175027_4_e9ded09de5284788116a838e6dcc37da.jpg

img_2175027_5_f4d6d42d38c0282bd3b52e58dc81a104.jpg

Still need to finish cycling the tank before I put fish in but so far so good.

Evilgrin said:
Thanks I had the stain left over from a small project I did a year or so ago making my own custom boom box.
I have a 10'X10' EZ-UP in the garage but I'll just hold out till the spring since I won't be able to stain and polyurethane it anyway the wife is sick of the fumes and my garage is too small and not heated (yet, another project). But there is some good news I got the tank setup and planted last night still need to do a few more water changes to clear up the cloudy water but it's looking good so far.

Don't mind the clutter under the stand pics were taken right after flooding the tank it's since been taken care of.

quick peek at the lights in operation still need to adjust the height of the 50/50 bulbs to get them a bit closer to the water.

Still need to finish cycling the tank before I put fish in but so far so good.

Looks real good what substrate are you using? And are you gunna use any rock? Looks like you know what ez ups are lol how did it flood?

Flooding the tank = filling with water lol

Substrate is 1" MGOPS 2" Fluorite black sand

Plants so far

• creeping jenny
  • Lindernia sp. mini
  • Luwiga glandulosa
  • Ludwiga sp. red
  • Hygro sp.??
As for rock I have 3 medium pieces of lava rock as well as some slate and some sandstone pieces from some older tanks that is sitting in my garage that I need to rinse off and soak before putting it in this tank.

Evilgrin said:
Flooding the tank = filling with water lol

Substrate is 1" MGOPS 2" Fluorite black sand

Plants so far

[*]creeping jenny
[*]Lindernia sp. mini
[*]Luwiga glandulosa
[*]Ludwiga sp. red
[*]Hygro sp.??

As for rock I have 3 medium pieces of lava rock as well as some slate and some sandstone pieces from some older tanks that is sitting in my garage that I need to rinse off and soak before putting it in this tank.

Ah ok lol i understand that lol the red should look real nice with all the green and the black substrate those pieces of rock sound like they would look good when all done

Still debating if I really want to use them or get some nice driftwood as a center piece.

Choices choices.. still have at least a month to decide since I'm just starting the cycle.

Evilgrin said:
Still debating if I really want to use them or get some nice driftwood as a center piece.

Choices choices.. still have at least a month to decide since I'm just starting the cycle.

That is true got some time maybe could use both dw and rock

Could have sworn I updated this post a week or so ago must have shut off the computer before I hit submit.
I'll post up some recent pics tomorrow of the current state of the tank.

Evilgrin said:
Could have sworn I updated this post a week or so ago must have shut off the computer before I hit submit.
I'll post up some recent pics tomorrow of the current state of the tank.

Sounds good i saw your other thread its lookin good

oh yea that's right forgot all about making another thread.
Guess I'll be updating that one some time tomorrow instead of this one.

Evilgrin said:
oh yea that's right forgot all about making another thread.
Guess I'll be updating that one some time tomorrow instead of this one.

All good either way im following lol

Back
Top Bottom