Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

My DIY Stand Build (WARNING Lots of Pics)

This is a brief Photo Journey of how I choose to build my Stand for my 55g tank. Some may wonder why I choose the dimensions I did all will be explained over the course of this rambling post.

Ok first off I built my stand at 40" to the top most sheet of plywood now with a standard 55g that puts the top of the tank at 5' approx. off the floor did this for two reasons 1. at 6'2" I can still reach in and touch the bottom of the tank with little trouble. 2. I wanted to see the tank from a seated position (bar stools) and not feel like I'm looking down into the tank. and 3 my toddler can't reach the glass to bang on it . Eventually I plan to build a custom tank from acrylic that matches the dimensions of the stand but they may be 2 - 3 years down the road, but figured why build 2 stands when I have the materials on hand to build one big enough now.

Any way the stand dimensions are 40" tall 48" wide 24" deep it's B I G. Corner posts are 3 X 3 with 2 X 4 cross members. Plenty of room underneath for a sump or just another tank or two. I'm currently still in the build process but the base frame is pretty much done still need a few more strings for the bottom shelf but other then that the base frame is done. Now on to the pics.

In the Above pic I have all the wood laid out after making all of my cuts. Skipped taking pics through most of the actual build process the curse of working alone, but did take some shots of the joints.

And Below we have the completed base frame.

Total cost so far about 10$ for a box of 2 1/2" screws all the wood was reclaimed or left over from another previous project.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

following!

Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Following as well im going to build a custom stand too when i get my 55 glad to hear your dimensions as i am also 6'2" lol plus little ones
Old 10-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well here is am update to my progress so far, I had to stop work on the stand for a bit to work on building the frame for the canopy before I got too involved in the stand, that and the stand make for a great workbench as is.

Here are some pics of the canopy as it sits currently.

Now I'm no carpenter and my woodworking skills are not what I would like them to be but I think I did a passable job so far with the limited tools I have available. Now the fun part wrapping my brain around how to cut down a 2 X 4 sheet of wood to fit the canopy that has a width of 49" hmmm something will dawn on my sooner or later. :redface:
Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilgrin
Well here is am update to my progress so far, I had to stop work on the stand for a bit to work on building the frame for the canopy before I got too involved in the stand, that and the stand make for a great workbench as is.

Here are some pics of the canopy as it sits currently.

Now I'm no carpenter and my woodworking skills are not what I would like them to be but I think I did a passable job so far with the limited tools I have available. Now the fun part wrapping my brain around how to cut down a 2 X 4 sheet of wood to fit the canopy that has a width of 49" hmmm something will dawn on my sooner or later. :redface:
A good circular saw like a skillsaw or a table saw i work maontenance at a apartment complex and we rebuild decks alot
Old 10-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

As mentioned a circular saw or table saw would be about the easiest option. When I skinned my stand I used a router with a flush trim bit to cut. The other option is when you purchase the wood have the dimensions with you and have the store chuck it up on the panel saw and cut it for you.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepomis
As mentioned a circular saw or table saw would be about the easiest option. When I skinned my stand I used a router with a flush trim bit to cut. The other option is when you purchase the wood have the dimensions with you and have the store chuck it up on the panel saw and cut it for you.
Agreed lowes or home depot will do that for you
Old 10-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a circular saw but of course it's MIA loaned it to someone a few weeks ago now have to track them down and threaten bodily harm. Canopy is done and I'm not overly thrilled with it but it will do for now till I can get the materials to rebuild it properly but over all not bad for less then 20$ in materials and working slightly tipsy and over tired.

I doubt anyone at lowes or home depot could cut a 2 X 4 panel at 49 inches considering the panel is only 24" X 48" I think you two need more coffee. LOL!

The stand I've decided to go with 1/2 maple plywood for the wrap just need to reclaim my circular saw and have at it and pray I make no mistakes on my cuts other wise it's design change in mid build. Yea that never happens.

I have a router just not used to using it yet guess I will be before this project is over, go figure my projects are always more ambitious then then my skill level warrants. Go big or go home, oh wait I am home.

I'll post some pics later on Right now I need a shower and a nap.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilgrin
I have a circular saw but of course it's MIA loaned it to someone a few weeks ago now have to track them down and threaten bodily harm. Canopy is done and I'm not overly thrilled with it but it will do for now till I can get the materials to rebuild it properly but over all not bad for less then 20$ in materials and working slightly tipsy and over tired.

I doubt anyone at lowes or home depot could cut a 2 X 4 panel at 49 inches considering the panel is only 24" X 48" I think you two need more coffee. LOL!

The stand I've decided to go with 1/2 maple plywood for the wrap just need to reclaim my circular saw and have at it and pray I make no mistakes on my cuts other wise it's design change in mid build. Yea that never happens.

I have a router just not used to using it yet guess I will be before this project is over, go figure my projects are always more ambitious then then my skill level warrants. Go big or go home, oh wait I am home.

I'll post some pics later on Right now I need a shower and a nap.
Lol ive had coffee and doughnuts yah thats true with the 49" issue but using the length of an 8 footer the cut for 49" would be done the length then cut the width from the 4 ft for the squaring it off but sounds like you got it figured out lol
Old 10-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well after a good night err days sleep here are some updated pics.

I'm not entirely happy with it as I said I'm no carpenter and my ambitions have meet with reality but I did learn a few things and what will need to be changed in order to get it to what I envisioned but for now it will do the job it was designed to do. My construction budget is nearing exhaustion so I'll have to live with it for a few months. Thankfully this is going to live in the basement so looking great is not that important, down here in the dungeon it's more about function then looks.

Tags
build, diy, diy stand, pics, stand, stand build, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com