My DIY styrofoam Vivarium build...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PurplePack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So this project still has a ways to go but I have come to the point where I will be able to put my rock formation into the aquarium later on today. After that I still need to give my paints at least a week of curing before I think about placing any water in it.

From the pictures you can see that I built a rock formation from Styrofoam that has a lot of surface area for whatever I decide to put in the tank (lizard, newt, frog, turtle, i havent decided yet). I also was able to make an assortment of caves in the rocks. From my original design that I made on google sketch up you can see the final version is quite a bit more detailed. There was a lot of trial an error involved in this, and if I were go to back and do it again It would be a lot easier the second time around. But I am very pleased with the results. If you have any questions please feel free and ask.
img_1156920_0_6f53c29f12d572566ec0c326c910da88.png

img_1156920_1_157bd05d6560f49e068ef8a276bb79cc.png

img_1156920_2_d430fd4516fdaa2aa7aa8a8a956275d6.jpg

img_1156920_3_86028f132e2f7eddd4fa1e367cc185f8.jpg

img_1156920_4_6c5aef58ef0cc06d0cbbe729098a783f.jpg

img_1156920_5_82528008002ad40cee46420165706756.jpg

img_1156920_6_692e06ffacceed4e1876867e69557366.jpg

img_1156920_7_84cab837e0f64bd3419d4dfdc279cceb.jpg

Did you start out with one large piece and then carved it out?

Yes i used two large peices of green foam from Michaels that are 4 inches tall by 12 inches wide... stacked them up so that my peice was 8 inches tall which is exactly half the height of my 16 inch tank.

I glued the two peices together using that adhesive caulk and youd never have know it was originally two pieces after doing so, that stuff held them together like you wouldnt believe.

I really hate to rain on your parade, but I'd be concerned about the caulk and possibly the water sealer you used. That "Microban" label on the caulk tube means it has antimicrobials in it, which don't play nicely in aquariums. I also don't know what the water sealer will leech into the tank.

GE1 100% silicone with no additives and Krylon Fusion paint are generally aquarium-safe if you let them cure. You can probably use the stone paint and coat it with some clear Fusion.

The work is awesome. What kind of tools did you use to carve the foam? I may have to steal your idea here for my 40B.

I really hate to rain on your parade, but I'd be concerned about the caulk and possibly the water sealer you used. That "Microban" label on the caulk tube means it has antimicrobials in it, which don't play nicely in aquariums. I also don't know what the water sealer will leech into the tank.

GE1 100% silicone with no additives and Krylon Fusion paint are generally aquarium-safe if you let them cure. You can probably use the stone paint and coat it with some clear Fusion.

The work is awesome. What kind of tools did you use to carve the foam? I may have to steal your idea here for my 40B.

Yes I probably should remove that picture as I did not end up using that sealer or that stone paint. The final product is covered in a textured krylon fusion paint which looks pretty sharp and is affixed to the aquarium walls and floor using 100% silicone. I started out using a variation of knives to cut out the foam but to be honest with you.... i grabbed a spoon from my kitchen and had much better results.

I'm glad to hear you didn't do all that work for nothing. I'd just hate for someone to try to replicate your great work and end up poisoning their tank.

heres an updated picture with most of my aquascaping done and some fish added...

66946_496257483384_520278384_6872304_3377294_n.jpg

Dude... that is freaking awesome! mad props on that. How long did it take you to do all that by chance?

Would you think that would be safe to do for a reptile, like a leopard gecko? (minus the mostly in water part)

I would have a few concerns, First, the adhesive; You don't use anything that says "Kitchen and Bath" in an aquarium. That green foam absorbs water, and is used in floral arrangements for that purpose. The paint is not an issue as once cured, it shouldn't present any problems.
The actual finished piece looks very nice. You did a beautiful job.

well i designed it to house reptiles as well as fish, I will probably be putting in a pair of frogs in a few weeks. The chalk in the picture was only used to hold the two pieces of foam together that I purchased. The final unit is covered in several layers of 100% paintable silicone and then painted using a krylon fusion textured paint which is supposedly aquarium safe. I have 4 fish in the tank right now and they all seem to be quite happy but my water is a bit cloudy, im hoping that will clear up eventually.

I wanted to give an update on my tank, everything seems to be going very smoothly I have a nice community of happy fish that include a beta, molly, small tetras, a crab that loves hiding in the caves i made, some shrimp... and up on top living on the land is a black widow which is really neat.

There was obviously a little nervousness from the arrangement of chemicals I used to create this tank but all of my fish are happy and water checks out great, tiny bit acidic but im leveling that out.

black widow ... spider? Great work, very realistic. If it is a spider that is very cool.

So, the paint will seal the styrofoam without having to put a resin layer on it? Just curious, because I am thinking of developing a mangrove root background out of styrafoam, and was planning on using fiberglass and resin for my finish, but if I don't need that much work, then I will just carve and paint the thing.

I like it! Keep us posted and by the way it looks awesome!

Was bitten by the black widow brother called a brown widow looks the same with the same markings under the abdomen. I was sleeping and got bitten in bed in Cape town, South Africa. Ouch ended up going to hospital for muscle contractions and shortness of breath as it bit me on side of my chest near my heart. Watch you do not get it from the Black widow heard really bad story's.

Back
Top Bottom