Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Lightbulb My DIY styrofoam Vivarium build...

So this project still has a ways to go but I have come to the point where I will be able to put my rock formation into the aquarium later on today. After that I still need to give my paints at least a week of curing before I think about placing any water in it.

From the pictures you can see that I built a rock formation from Styrofoam that has a lot of surface area for whatever I decide to put in the tank (lizard, newt, frog, turtle, i havent decided yet). I also was able to make an assortment of caves in the rocks. From my original design that I made on google sketch up you can see the final version is quite a bit more detailed. There was a lot of trial an error involved in this, and if I were go to back and do it again It would be a lot easier the second time around. But I am very pleased with the results. If you have any questions please feel free and ask.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Very nice work. I just wish I could do stuff like that. Haha

Old 09-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks good! I do always love the DIY stuff!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What materials would or wouldn't you use for a fish tank?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you start out with one large piece and then carved it out?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Did you start out with one large piece and then carved it out?
Yes i used two large peices of green foam from Michaels that are 4 inches tall by 12 inches wide... stacked them up so that my peice was 8 inches tall which is exactly half the height of my 16 inch tank.

I glued the two peices together using that adhesive caulk and youd never have know it was originally two pieces after doing so, that stuff held them together like you wouldnt believe.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really hate to rain on your parade, but I'd be concerned about the caulk and possibly the water sealer you used. That "Microban" label on the caulk tube means it has antimicrobials in it, which don't play nicely in aquariums. I also don't know what the water sealer will leech into the tank.

GE1 100% silicone with no additives and Krylon Fusion paint are generally aquarium-safe if you let them cure. You can probably use the stone paint and coat it with some clear Fusion.

The work is awesome. What kind of tools did you use to carve the foam? I may have to steal your idea here for my 40B.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I really hate to rain on your parade, but I'd be concerned about the caulk and possibly the water sealer you used. That "Microban" label on the caulk tube means it has antimicrobials in it, which don't play nicely in aquariums. I also don't know what the water sealer will leech into the tank.

GE1 100% silicone with no additives and Krylon Fusion paint are generally aquarium-safe if you let them cure. You can probably use the stone paint and coat it with some clear Fusion.

The work is awesome. What kind of tools did you use to carve the foam? I may have to steal your idea here for my 40B.
Yes I probably should remove that picture as I did not end up using that sealer or that stone paint. The final product is covered in a textured krylon fusion paint which looks pretty sharp and is affixed to the aquarium walls and floor using 100% silicone. I started out using a variation of knives to cut out the foam but to be honest with you.... i grabbed a spoon from my kitchen and had much better results.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm glad to hear you didn't do all that work for nothing. I'd just hate for someone to try to replicate your great work and end up poisoning their tank.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

heres an updated picture with most of my aquascaping done and some fish added...

Tags
build, diy, foam, styrofoam

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com