My first reseal job

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good im in the process of redoing a 30 gallon tall tank that leaks at the bottom .

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A few things to note. If a tank is well built it won't leak even without the inner seal. The inner seal doesn't need to be large. A seal that is too large (too large a bead), is harder to smooth and more likely to have air inclusion. It is risky business to place the tank on anything but a solid flat surface to leak test. Tanks have been known to have catastrophic failures when being leak tested. You need to take the same care placing the tank as you would if you were setting it up.
This job looks like it was done nicely.

I'm going to be resealing a very old tank and found your photos very helpful! Thank you! How did you remove the old sealant? That is the part that I am most nervous about and Im not sure how to proceed. Any info would be very helpful. (I really liked the painters tape idea. Super!!!)

A few things to note. If a tank is well built it won't leak even without the inner seal. The inner seal doesn't need to be large. A seal that is too large (too large a bead), is harder to smooth and more likely to have air inclusion. It is risky business to place the tank on anything but a solid flat surface to leak test. Tanks have been known to have catastrophic failures when being leak tested. You need to take the same care placing the tank as you would if you were setting it up.
This job looks like it was done nicely.

Thanks, I tried to be very carefull when handling the tank. As you said I use only flat surfaces to test leak

I'm going to be resealing a very old tank and found your photos very helpful! Thank you! How did you remove the old sealant? That is the part that I am most nervous about and Im not sure how to proceed. Any info would be very helpful. (I really liked the painters tape idea. Super!!!)

I'm happy this can help. I use regular (common) tools like razor blade holders and a plexiglas tool (to remove silicone of corners). I repeated the process 3-4 times, very gentle and every time cleaned the tank with rubbing alcohol, I used only brand new razor blades nothing special. After applied the silicone bed I removed the excess with a very round “spoon” (use the convex side to create a smooth round seal against the 90 degree angle of the two glass panes)

TOOLS
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk183/Gilcano/Fish/Tools_zps11slxqjr.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk183/Gilcano/Fish/Siliconetechnique_zpse5d8e998.png
(y)(y)(y)

Back
Top Bottom